Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom in CA Tom in CA is offline

Default How to close just one document without closing the application-Wor

If I have multiple Word 2003 documents open, every time I close just one of
them, wanting to keep the rest open, the entire application closes and of
course so do all the open documents. What am I missing here. And there is
no "X" on the individual document [or at least I'm not seeing it.] Not a
horrible thing, but it sure can be frustrating and time consuming.

Thanks,

Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I wonder if the X is there, but you're not seeing it. It can take two forms,
and in the 2nd case (below), it's easy to think it's there for a different
reason:

1. If "Windows in Taskbar" is turned off (Tools - Options - View tab), there
will be minimize, restore/maximize, and close buttons for the current
document. They will be below the minimize, restore/maximize, and close
buttons for Word.

2. If "Windows in Taskbar" is turned on, there will be only a close X in the
upper right corner, [usually] just to ther right of "Type a question for
help" and a little to the right and below of the current window's own X.
With this setting, the window itself has minimize, restore/maximize buttons,
but the individual document window does not.

In addition, you can close the current document by pressing Ctrl+W or
Ctrl+F4.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible