Astrophe

Default Hyperlinks being cut off, or not full path

Hi

I'm inserting hyperlinks to files on the network folders in Word documents.
Sometimes I get a the full path as the hyperlinked text, which is great. But
sometimes it cuts off some of the path and puts "..." in it, and other times
it just gives me the file name, not the path.

Is there a way to force it to the full path every time?

Tried help, google, MS newsgroups.

TIA

katin42

You might contact your Network Administrator. It might be helpful to state
what version of Word is being used. If applicable, check Folder Options, and
add checkmarks to: "Display full title in path bar", "Display full path in
address bar", along with "automatically search for network folders and
printers". This may or may not help, if it has no bearing, or indirectly
effects other preferences; just go back and uncheck. None of these require
restarts, through IE6, SP-1.

"Astrophe" wrote:

Hi

I'm inserting hyperlinks to files on the network folders in Word documents.
Sometimes I get a the full path as the hyperlinked text, which is great. But
sometimes it cuts off some of the path and puts "..." in it, and other times
it just gives me the file name, not the path.

Is there a way to force it to the full path every time?

Tried help, google, MS newsgroups.

TIA

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QXN0cm9waGU=?=,

'm inserting hyperlinks to files on the network folders in Word documents.
Sometimes I get a the full path as the hyperlinked text, which is great. But
sometimes it cuts off some of the path and puts "..." in it, and other times
it just gives me the file name, not the path.

Is there a way to force it to the full path every time?

When you don't get the full path, is it because the file to which you're
linking is in the same folder, or same folder hierarchy, as the document into
which you're inserting the link? If that's the case, try saving the document to
somewhere else, entirely, when you're creating the links.

And then make sure that "Update links on save" is turned OFF in
Tools/Options/General/Web options/Files.

But other than that, no, there's no way to tell Word to use an absolute, rather
than relative file path.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Astrophe

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

When you don't get the full path, is it because the file to which you're
linking is in the same folder, or same folder hierarchy, as the document into
which you're inserting the link? If that's the case, try saving the document to
somewhere else, entirely, when you're creating the links.

Thank you Cindy, that was exactly what I needed. God, that seems so obvious
now!

And then make sure that "Update links on save" is turned OFF in
Tools/Options/General/Web options/Files.

This is ticked. I experimented with a document, saving it in various
locations and adding hyperlinks. Whether this option was ticked or unticked
didn't seem to change the hyperlinks when the document was saved and
re-opened.

However, that's fine, at least now I know how to avoid relative links.

Astrophe