Heitk

Default How do I Copy a single page (of Many) including its Header and Fo.

I have created a sustaining on going report in Word, each page has a common
Header and Footer. I want to Copy and Paste a single page (of 500 pages)
which contains all 3 components e.g.: Body, Header and Footer.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SGVpdGs=?=,

I have created a sustaining on going report in Word, each page has a common
Header and Footer. I want to Copy and Paste a single page (of 500 pages)
which contains all 3 components e.g.: Body, Header and Footer.

This isn't possible using simple copy and paste. The header/footer information
is stored in the section break (if a document has only the one, default
section, then in the last paragraph mark).

It's not even going to really be possible using a macro, as the header/footer
can change, depending on which page you're viewing (page number, StyleRef
fields, etc.). So simply copying and pasting what you see in the header/footer
isn't going to work very well, either.

Possibly, you could recreate the header/footer information for the current
page in another document, using a macro. But in order to write the macro, one
would have to know exactly which information is required. If you wish to
follow up on this, I suggest asking in a word.vba newsgroup.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Heitk

Cindy;
Thanks for you help. Seems as though I am the one asking questions that
people don't have solutions for. You have an answer at least puts to rest my
search to find if MS had the utility embedded somewhere in Word, that is a
hugh help to me.

I have a "Work Around", it's ugly and time consuming, I.E. Create a reserve
single page document, where I have previously cut and pasted the header and
footer and simply removed them from those 2 positions, save it, the paste
updated body information between between the them. It is akward and time
consuming but it works.

You would think MS development team would have envisioned a simple on/off
function using the same buttons commonly used for cutting and pasting, using
a selection of CTR, Shift or CTR A, highlighting a page or ramdomly selected
pages, and give you the option to treat all Header and Footer as part of the
complete body: e.g. where it only apprears to be H & F. Sounds pretty simple
to me, Software writer should be able to write a routine to allow those 2 to
be turned off and on, to pasted into a seperate Word report.

Perhaps I am second guessing but it does puzzles me ~~~ , this should/would
be a common occurrence, the development software engineering team at the
early "Flow Chart" inception and should have known the value allowing the end
user to do so.

Thanks for your help.. Keith Metcalf (Heitk) 937-608-0747

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SGVpdGs=?=,

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SGVpdGs=?=,

I have a "Work Around", it's ugly and time consuming, I.E. Create a reserve
single page document, where I have previously cut and pasted the header and
footer and simply removed them from those 2 positions, save it, the paste
updated body information between between the them. It is akward and time
consuming but it works.

Yes, that's one possibility. Another would be to copy the entire section, then
delete what you don't need.

You would think MS development team would have envisioned a simple on/off
function using the same buttons commonly used for cutting and pasting, using
a selection of CTR, Shift or CTR A, highlighting a page or ramdomly selected
pages, and give you the option to treat all Header and Footer as part of the
complete body: e.g. where it only apprears to be H & F. Sounds pretty

simple
to me, Software writer should be able to write a routine to allow those 2 to
be turned off and on, to pasted into a seperate Word report.

Actually, the way a Word document is built, it really wouldn't be as simple as
that :-) It has to do with the way the document is structured, internally. If
you have Word 2003, save a document with headers and footers as an XML file,
then try to find the information. You'd notice that all you can find is a
general definition for what any one section's h/f should contain. But you
won't find any field results. You'll also find that graphics with text flow
formatting aren't even stored in the individual h/f, but in a "central store".
Very complicated.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Heitk

Cindy when you mention; ("Another would be to copy the entire section, then
delete what you don't need") ENTIRE SECTION, what is you definition of that
term ?

If that is the same as single page (Of Many) Currently I am not able to COPY
a page which includes the Headers and Footers and paste it to anonther open
document I.E. all 3 elements. We may be not be on the same bus.

I can however double click (Or Open) the Header or Footer. highlight each
one seperately, copy and paste them to the open doc. at this point the
information that was in the H&F is no longer H&F (That's Okay), I simply
trying reduce the amount of "Mouse Work" and copying a pasting in order to
produce a 1 or 2 page report.

One last thing, in the past MS had a "Wish List". Does this still exsist ?
Keith

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SGVpdGs=?=,

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SGVpdGs=?=,

when you mention; ("Another would be to copy the entire section, then
delete what you don't need") ENTIRE SECTION, what is you definition of that
term ?

From just afer one section break, up to and including the next section break.

Every document has, by default, a single section. The section information in
this case is stored in the last paragraph mark. If you use Insert/Section and
choose any kind of section break, then you're added an additional section to
the document. The section break that controls a document is always found at
the *end* of a section. Some types of formatting the sections control:
margins, headers, footers, vertical page alignment.

Therefore, you can only include headers and footers when copying text if the
section break is also included.

Rarely is a single page equal to an entire section, although if you're "lucky"
when you select a page you could end up also selecting a section break.

What you might consider doing, if you need to do this
copy-text-into-new-doc-with-header on a regular basis would be to set up a
TEMPLATE with the header/footer information and always create the new document
from this template.