Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter Marquis-Kyle Peter Marquis-Kyle is offline

Default Acrobat and hyperlinks in footers

I am preparing PDF documents for use on-screen. Each page has a set of
hyperlinks at the bottom, for navigating to different sections (pages)
in the document.

I have Word 2000 and Acrobat 5, with the Acrobat PDFmaker tools
installed in Word.

I thought that I could bookmark the target pages, and put hyperlinks in
a footer, then export the document as a PDF through PDFmaker. I am
disappointed to report that, after a lot of experiments, this is what I
have found:

First, the hyperlinks only work in the pdf if I toggle the field codes
to the code-display state immediately before saving the Word document
and making the PDF. Word changes them all back each time. This is just
annoying.

Secondly, I can't get hyperlinks to work in a footer or header. They
don't work in the Word document, and they don't work in the PDF made
from the Word document. This makes the scheme unworkable.

Since I am familiar with Word I would prefer to use it for creating the
documents. Can anyone here give me some clues how?

Just as a reality check, I installed OpenOffice.org 2.0, the free
open-source office suite. In OpenOffice Writer I effortlessly created
footers with hyperlinks, and exported flawless PDFs.

If I can't get this working in Word soon, I'll give up and switch to
OpenOffice for this project.

--

Peter Marquis-Kyle
www.marquis-kyle.com.au