Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sam sam is offline

Default Problem with the Styles

Hi All,

I am formatting a huge document( 200 pages) and have been able to do a
fairly good job. But there are two things bothering me, for which I
need your help.
1. There are 112 images for which I have given captions, and in the
Styles window when I check it shows 116 images as been selected?? I
have gone through the whole document but no luck where are the other
four images ??, ihave tried to check using the show.hide option also.
2. Some styles ( ex. Left: .25"), no matter how much I try I cannot
delete them and they always show as being in use(Formatting in use).
How do I delete them? I have tried to give style based on,style for
following paragraph as no style(for both) and also tried no style and
Normal which didn't work.
I need to complete the formatting very urgently, any help is
appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

What Word version are you using?
Sounds like 2003, because of the Styles&Formatting, Select All function you
are describing.
1. The extra 4 hits are probably superfluous paragraphs that have the
"caption" style assigned. Do you work with the Non-printing characters
showing?
See: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...PrintChars.htm
To toggle Ctrl+Shft+8. These will easily show whether you have superfluous
paragraphs.
2. These extra styles are automatically created by Word, as you apply manual
formatting to "master" style. Check Tools, Options, Edit, Keep track of
Formatting.
This does not delete these manual styles but they do not appear on the
Styles&Formatting listing. BUT if you turn this off, I have noticed that the
"Select All" function under Styles&Formatting is greyed out.
Either go through your document and undo the manual formatting you have
added, or ignore these manual styles. On the Styles&Formatting window, at the
bottom the Show has an option for custom, try tinkering with these settings
to see if you can hide these manual styles. I have found it works for some
but not all.

This is for 2003 and prior, maybe different for 2007.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"sam" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sam sam is offline

"sam" wrote:
[...]

Sam- Hide quoted text -

hi DeanH,
Thanks for the help as u correctly guessed mine was word 2003. Once i
follow the steps u have informed, if any issues i will get back to u.
Thanks for the help once again.
Sam
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A combination of those check-boxes at the bottom of Styles &
Formatting works. First go to "Custom" and check off all and only the
styles you want to use in your document. Then go back to the check-
boxes and choose "Available Styles" and then only the ones marked in
"Custom" will show in the Styles drop-down and in the Styles &
Formatting pane.