Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Jan is offline

Default Word

When I open an old file, today's date replaces the original date. How do I
turn this "feature" off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jlawson jlawson is offline

Sounds like whoever made the original document inserted a field in to
the doc to always display the current date. You can press alt+F9 to
see the field and erase it if you need to. The document has to be
unprotected if you do this.

Jan wrote:
When I open an old file, today's date replaces the original date. How do I
turn this "feature" off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Open your template as a template and change the date field to a Create Date
field and that will resolve the problem.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Jan" wrote:

When I open an old file, today's date replaces the original date. How do I
turn this "feature" off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It won't however resolve it for the existing documents. For those what you
need to do is change the date fields for createdate fields - ALT+F9 change
{DATE \@ "d MMM yyyy"}or {TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy"} to {CREATEDATE \@ "d MMM
yyyy"} then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your letterhead template
so that future letters based on it show the correct dates.

The switches \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location.