Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jo-Ann Jo-Ann is offline

Default How do I set up business stationery personalized by office user?

I would like to have business stationery that is personalized to the current
user. I work at a law firm with many lawyers, paralegals and well as
management who send out letters that should be personalized in the header of
the document. I would like a question to be prompted with each new document
that asks 'Who are you?' then the user will type in their initials and the
header of the letter would be customized for that person, with email address
only applying to that person.
Can this be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

I think you may need aan Ask field in your template.

Ask field

Prompts you to enter information and assigns a bookmark (bookmark: A
location or selection of text in a file that you name for reference purposes.
Bookmarks identify a location within your file that you can later refer or
link to.) to represent your response. You must insert a REF field (field: A
set of codes that instructs Microsoft Word to insert text, graphics, page
numbers, and other material into a document automatically. For example, the
DATE field inserts the current date.) after the ASK field where you want
Microsoft Word to print the response in the document. You can use the
information entered in other fields to compute a bookmark value €” such as an
= (Formula field) €” by inserting the bookmark name in the other field's
instructions.

Word displays the prompt each time the ASK field is updated. A response
remains assigned to the bookmark until you enter a new response. If the ASK
field is used in a mail merge main document (main document: In a mail-merge
operation in Word, the document that contains the text and graphics that are
the same for each version of the merged document, for example, the return
address or salutation in a form letter.), the prompt is displayed each time
you merge a new data record (data record: A complete set of related
information that corresponds to one row of information in the data source.
All information about one client in a client mailing list is an example of a
data record.) unless you use the \o switch.

Bookmark
The bookmark name assigned to the response to the prompt, for example,
ClientName.
"Prompt"
Prompt text, which is displayed in a dialog box, for example, "Enter the
client's name."
Switches

\d "Default "
Specifies a default response if you don't type a response in the prompt
dialog box. For example, the field
{ ASK Typist "Enter typist's initials:" \d "tds" } assigns "tds" to the
bookmark "Typist" if you don't enter a response.
If you don't specify a default response, Word uses the last response
entered. To specify a blank entry as the default, type empty quotation marks
after the switch; for example, type \d "" .

\o
When used in a mail merge main document, displays the prompt once instead of
each time you merge a new data record. The same response is inserted in each
resulting merged document.

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP