Hal Tz

Default confused about normal.dot

Hi. I'm pretty new to Word Automation from VB. I inherited a mass of code and
got it to work pretty well in our setting, but am now stuck he If I open
two sessions of word, and in each open one document, then close one session
(no changes made to the doc), by doing a Word.Quit I always get prompted
about Normal.dot being "in use by another aplication or user". I hit OK (the
only choice) and then get a save as dialog box for normal.dot. I cancel and
then I'm back in Woord. When I then exit, I get asked if I want to save
changes to Normal.dot, say no, and then I'm out. This situation makes my
program unusable, because the users will not accept all this interaction.

If I do all this outside of automation, that is launch 2 copies word form
the desktp, open a doc in each, then close on, I get none of this, I just
exit smoothly.

Any ideas?
--
Hal
Charles Kenyon

I doubt you are opening two instances of Word from the desktop. Why do you
want to do this in your application?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Hal Tz" wrote in message
[...]

Hal Tz

Thanks, excellent questions.
1. You're absolutely right, from the desktop, 2 copies of Word do NOT get
started, as the task list tells me.
2. I'm starting separate copies in my app because that's what the code I
inherited does.

There is a lot of code and I didn't have time nor any good reason (as I do
now) to revisit that peculiarity. The code creates word docs, allows viewing
them, and also allows converting them to tiff using, naturally, Word. There
can be multiple instances of these 3 operations going on simultaneously. For
each of the three operations, the app (which consist of 2 exes and 1 dll)
launches a copy of Word doing New Word.Application, and it does it in 3
different places in the codes, so the requisite redesign and re-write to use
just one Word instance is not a small effort, which I am about to embark on.

Another question: it turns out that the reason my Word opens and updates
Normal.dot each time Word is launched is that there is one 3rd party startup
macro that does it, I have no idea why, nor what it does, nor will it be easy
to find out in this large (about 1000 seats) installation. But my follow-up
question is this: is there any way to launch Word in such a way that the
startup macros do NOT run? I know I can shell out to Winword.exe /m to get
this effect, but I need to continue to use the Office Automaton methods, so I
need to be able to have a Word.Application oject in my code.

Thanks.
--
Hal

"Hal Tz" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

You are likely to get more knowledgeable responses in the
public.word.vba.customization newsgroup.

winword.exe /a starts a default setup copy of Word if that helps.

Normal.dot Page Layout 6 June 10th 05 07:44 PM
Demented normal.dot - save one version, Word displays another... tearinhairout Microsoft Word Help 3 May 16th 05 07:56 AM
transfer normal.dot from Word 97 onto Word 2003 jp73 Microsoft Word Help 1 April 22nd 05 04:31 PM
Normal.dot default styles LindaNorcross Microsoft Word Help 3 April 21st 05 12:43 AM
How do I find the normal.dot template so I can make modifications? zunitalks Page Layout 4 January 28th 05 01:31 PM