Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Forms document Forms document is offline

Default How do I protect part of a document and keep the forms fillin opti

I've figured out how to protect the pages I need to protect and to allow
changes to the rest of the document but this is a forms document and I can't
figure out how to keep my forms protection.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

When you protect your document, you need to protect only the appropriate
sections. Which version of Word are you using?

In Word 2003, Tools, Protect Document, A task pane will open. Change the
Editing Restrictions to "Allow only this type of editing in the
Document: Filling in Forms. Then click the Sections hyperlink to toggle
the sections that have form fields to being protected. Then you can
click Start Enforcing Protection.

Only the selected sections will be protected, the remainder of the
document will still have limited features available though.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"Forms document" Forms wrote in
message :

I've figured out how to protect the pages I need to protect and to allow
changes to the rest of the document but this is a forms document and I can't
figure out how to keep my forms protection.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12/18/2007 9:40 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Forms document[_2_] Forms document[_2_] is offline

I'm using MS2007 and I also tried it on a computer that has 2003. What I'm
trying to do is to have a contract with form fields but there's a section in
the contract that I want to protect. If I use t he read only options the
filling in the form fields goes away, if i select "filling in forms" when the
protection is stopped (sometimes our sales guys will need to add on to some
parts of the contract) it also gives them access to a part of the document
that should never be changed.

What I have done is inserted the part that never changes as an image and
kept the rest of the form as "filling in forms" that way, even if they turn
the option off so that they can add on to the document in areas that do not
contain form controls they will not be able to change the image. It's the
only way I could figure out to make it work.

"Forms document" wrote:

I've figured out how to protect the pages I need to protect and to allow
changes to the rest of the document but this is a forms document and I can't
figure out how to keep my forms protection.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

It doesn't sound as though you really used section breaks in your
document. Everything that you don't want to change should be in a
section, which can include the forms. Anything that you want the sales
folks to be able to change should be in another section.

Title of Document
Form fields
Standard Contract text
---Section Break (End of Section One )----
Free-form area that sales people can freely change

In the above scenario, I would have Section One locked down for Fill-In
Forms, which will allow the sales folks to type in the form fields ONLY.
Section Two would be unprotected. There are some things that they would
not be allowed to do, but for the most part they can freely edit.

Hope that helps.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP
"Education Lasts a Lifetime"
This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and questions
to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"Forms document" wrote in
message :

"Forms document" wrote:

I've figured out how to protect the pages I need to protect and to allow
changes to the rest of the document but this is a forms document and I can't
figure out how to keep my forms protection.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12/20/2007 2:14 PM