wilddove

Default create a macro in a merge document field

I am tring to create a macro or toggle a merge field to change a word to an
abbreviation. Can you tell me how this is done?
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?d2lsZGRvdmU=?=,

I am tring to create a macro or toggle a merge field to change a word to an
abbreviation. Can you tell me how this is done?

Could you please describe in more detail what you have in mind, and in which
version of Word you're working?

FWIW, Word fields provide no means to perform string functions. If there are a
limited number of terms you need to test, an IF field could, perhaps, be a
solution.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

wilddove

What I have is a document that I have merged fields in from our system. I am
trying to create a macro or something to change one of the fields from
Medical Doctor to Dr.. I am working in Word 2000 but can't seem to find
anything on how to do this.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?d2lsZGRvdmU=?=,

I am tring to create a macro or toggle a merge field to change a word to an
abbreviation. Can you tell me how this is done?

Could you please describe in more detail what you have in mind, and in which
version of Word you're working?

FWIW, Word fields provide no means to perform string functions. If there are a
limited number of terms you need to test, an IF field could, perhaps, be a
solution.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?d2lsZGRvdmU=?=,

What I have is a document that I have merged fields in from our system. I am
trying to create a macro or something to change one of the fields from
Medical Doctor to Dr.. I am working in Word 2000 but can't seem to find
anything on how to do this.

Your problem description is still unclear. Are we talking about merge result
documents that already exist? Or are we talking about changing what a mergefield
generates in a new result? (IOW, modifying existing main merge documents that
contain merge fields)

Assuming the latter: What's the name of the merge field that passes this
information? What other types of values could this field hold, besides "Medical
Doctor"? And what values should display, in these cases?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)