Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
shakey shakey is offline

Default Backup files

Lately I seem to have backup files created and saved after I read a word
file.
IE: reading file "READ ME" generates file "BACKUP OF READ ME"
Using Office 2003 Word on XP machine.

Hints on what I changed to cause this, I do not remember it happening
earlier?

Thanks
Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is no mechanism that I am aware of that creates backup files merely
from reading documents in Word - do you have an autoopen macro in Normal.dot
that saves documents as they are opened?

In any case it is a good plan to allow Word to create backups - but if you
must turn it off, the setting is in tools options save.

shakey wrote:
Lately I seem to have backup files created and saved after I read a
word file.
IE: reading file "READ ME" generates file "BACKUP OF READ ME"
Using Office 2003 Word on XP machine.

Hints on what I changed to cause this, I do not remember it happening
earlier?

Thanks
Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
shakey shakey is offline

Tools options save has always been on. No autopen macro.
Its not every file opened that gets backed up so I will need to find
something common about them. Perhaps I added or deleted a word. Sure it did
not do this before but easy to work around "delete".
Thank you
Mel

shakey wrote:
Lately I seem to have backup files created and saved after I read a
word file.
IE: reading file "READ ME" generates file "BACKUP OF READ ME"
Using Office 2003 Word on XP machine.

Hints on what I changed to cause this, I do not remember it happening
earlier?

Thanks
Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless you explicitly saved the document (perhaps when prompted), you should
not be getting a *new* backup file, but if you have that option enabled,
then any document that has been saved more than once will have a backup
file. You will not see these files in Word's File Open dialog if you have
All Word Documents selected as the file type--only if you have All Files
selected. But of course you'll see the *.wbk files in an Explorer window.

shakey wrote:
Lately I seem to have backup files created and saved after I read a
word file.
IE: reading file "READ ME" generates file "BACKUP OF READ ME"
Using Office 2003 Word on XP machine.

Hints on what I changed to cause this, I do not remember it happening
earlier?

Thanks
Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
shakey shakey is offline

Thanks Susan I did not specifically save the document, just closed then
deleted them prior to finding the backup copy.
I DO see them in word file open list of files probably because I do have all
files selected. The ones I am working with are text files but get saved as a
word backup doc.
Interesting sometimes after closing a file and seeing it disappear from the
screen I cannot delete it but get file in use message. I need to exit word
and reenter to delete it.
Mel

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Unless you explicitly saved the document (perhaps when prompted), you
should
not be getting a *new* backup file, but if you have that option enabled,
then any document that has been saved more than once will have a backup
file. You will not see these files in Word's File Open dialog if you have
All Word Documents selected as the file type--only if you have All Files
selected. But of course you'll see the *.wbk files in an Explorer window.

so
all may benefit.

shakey wrote:
Lately I seem to have backup files created and saved after I read a
word file.
IE: reading file "READ ME" generates file "BACKUP OF READ ME"
Using Office 2003 Word on XP machine.

Hints on what I changed to cause this, I do not remember it happening
earlier?

Thanks
Mel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Backup (*.wbk) files are not deleted when you close or delete a document.
Temp (*.tmp) files should ordinarily be deleted when you close the document
or quit Word. If you have temp files left around after quitting and
restarting Word, it's okay to delete them. See
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.