Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Default How to print colors as black, Word 2007

In previous versions of Word, there was a setting that caused all
text, regardless of the color in the document, to print as black on a
B&W printer.

Can someone tell me where they moved this option to in 2007?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Sesquipedalian Sam" wrote in message
In previous versions of Word, there was a setting that caused all
text, regardless of the color in the document, to print as black on a
B&W printer.

Can someone tell me where they moved this option to in 2007?

On mine it's in Advanced Properties in the Graphics tab in Printer
properties on the Print dialog box - I assume that's a Printer setting not a
Word setting...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:16:59 -0700, Sesquipedalian Sam
wrote:

In previous versions of Word, there was a setting that caused all
text, regardless of the color in the document, to print as black on a
B&W printer.

Can someone tell me where they moved this option to in 2007?

I found a setting in the printer driver options. I wasn't able to
access this from any Word options. I had to go to the Printers panel
in the Control Panel.

It seems to me that I was able to do this from Word in previous
versions.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote:

In previous versions of Word, there was a setting that caused all
text, regardless of the color in the document, to print as black on a
B&W printer.

Can someone tell me where they moved this option to in 2007?

I found a setting in the printer driver options. I wasn't able to
access this from any Word options. I had to go to the Printers panel
in the Control Panel.

It seems to me that I was able to do this from Word in previous
versions.

Call up the print dialog box and click on Printer Options.....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

wrote:

In previous versions of Word, there was a setting that caused all
text, regardless of the color in the document, to print as black on a
B&W printer.

Can someone tell me where they moved this option to in 2007?

I found a setting in the printer driver options. I wasn't able to
access this from any Word options. I had to go to the Printers panel
in the Control Panel.

It seems to me that I was able to do this from Word in previous
versions.

I looked at the Options dialog in Word 2003, and there is no such
option there.

However, you shouldn't have to go to Control Panel to get to the
printer driver options. Open the Print dialog and click the Properties
button next to the printer's name.

In my experience, the difference is that setting the option through
the Control Panel affects all programs that use the printer and is
persistent between sessions. Setting it through Word's Print dialog
affects only the current Word session, which is convenient when you
don't want to have to remember to go back and unset the option.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:23:49 +0100, "Gordon"
wrote:

"Sesquipedalian Sam" wrote in message
.. .
In previous versions of Word, there was a setting that caused all
text, regardless of the color in the document, to print as black on a
B&W printer.

Can someone tell me where they moved this option to in 2007?

On mine it's in Advanced Properties in the Graphics tab in Printer
properties on the Print dialog box - I assume that's a Printer setting not a
Word setting...

I did find it as a printer setting. It's in a different place than
yours, but then I probably have a different printer.

I thought there was Word XP setting that did this for all B&W
printers, but maybe I'm delusional.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It's in the Compatibility Options, which are at the very bottom of Office
Button | Word Options | Advanced, but I've never been sure how Word knew it
was dealing with a monochrome printer.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

"Sesquipedalian Sam" wrote in message
. ..
In previous versions of Word, there was a setting that caused all
text, regardless of the color in the document, to print as black on a
B&W printer.

Can someone tell me where they moved this option to in 2007?

On mine it's in Advanced Properties in the Graphics tab in Printer
properties on the Print dialog box - I assume that's a Printer setting not
Word setting...

I did find it as a printer setting. It's in a different place than
yours, but then I probably have a different printer.

I thought there was Word XP setting that did this for all B&W
printers, but maybe I'm delusional.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Oh -- the rat's nest. :-(

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Seriously, though, what would that setting have to do with compatibility
between versions?

wrote:

[...]

newsgroup
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Seriously, though, what would that setting have to do with compatibility
between versions?

Perhaps when the older versions were released most places only had
monochrome printers?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

The option in Compatibility is 'Print Colors as black on non-colour
printers'. Presumably, this is to stop the printer using greyscales to
represent colours.

It is the only option I have ever seen in Word itself.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote:

"Sesquipedalian Sam" wrote in message
In previous versions of Word, there was a setting that caused all
text, regardless of the color in the document, to print as black on a
B&W printer.

Can someone tell me where they moved this option to in 2007?

On mine it's in Advanced Properties in the Graphics tab in Printer
properties on the Print dialog box - I assume that's a Printer setting
not a
Word setting...

I did find it as a printer setting. It's in a different place than
yours, but then I probably have a different printer.

I thought there was Word XP setting that did this for all B&W
printers, but maybe I'm delusional.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

The 'usual' solution to thus problem is to install your printer twice.
Rename the second occurrence as 'LaserBlack' or something obvious. Now in
Word when you want to print in Black only, switch printers. You can sort of
automate it by using a macro that switches printers, sends the print and
then switches back to the default printer.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP