Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dale Dale is offline

Default Table cells: preserving font and color during Copy & Paste.

Hi:
Say that I create a table in Word document doc1,
and enter text into the table cells.
Next, say that I color a specific cell Red (the entire cell is Red, not just
the text).
Now, I create a similar Word document , call it doc2.
Now, I want to copy the colored cell (color and all) from the table in doc1
the corresponding cell in the table in doc2.
The text copies, but the cell color does not.
Why not ?
Any ideas on how to preserve/copy the color with the text ?

Also, if a create a table in say doc1, hi-lite the entire table and select a
specific
font, that font is not preserved once I start typing in a cell. If I select
say
Times New Roman when I hi-lite the entire table, than start typing in a cell,
I usually end up getting Arial of a different type size than I selected. Any
Ideas ?

Thank you.
DaleB
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

1. If you are pasting a cell into an existing table, by default Word
pastes just the text; the alternative would be to create a nested table.
See:

Options used for "Smart cut and paste" settings in Word
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297680/en-us

2. The font probably changes back to the settings of the table style.
What you can do is apply a *paragraph style* with the desired
formatting.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dale" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dale Dale is offline

Hi:
Thank you for your reply. The article only applies to text.
If I color a cell in a Word table, I would think that Word would know how
to tag this...otherwise, it wouldn't remember it once the document is closed.
It it can tag it, then it should be able to copy & paste it. After all, it
does
Copy & Paste colored text !
I am using color patterns in the cells and am trying to avoid having to go in
and reselect the patters for each cell just be cause I am moving the
information
to a new table. Any ideas ?

Thank you,
DaleB

"Dale" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The purpose of the "Adjust table formatting and alignment on paste"
option is to create consistent formatting, I belive.

A different approach is to record a macro formatting a cell the way you
want it. Then you could just run that macro whenever you wanted to apply
that formatting.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP