Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sheila

Default How can I reverse the order of page number and index entry?

I am creating a traditional index in Word 2000 but would like to have the
page numbers first and the index entries next.
Example:
2.....Entry 1
5.....Entry 2

Does anybody know how to get there? Help would be much appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U2hlaWxh?=,

I am creating a traditional index in Word 2000 but would like to have the
page numbers first and the index entries next.
Example:
2.....Entry 1
5.....Entry 2

Does anybody know how to get there?

there's nothing built into Word to generate this. Possibly, a macro could
reverse the contents of the Index. If you want to pursue that, you should
ask in a word.vba newsgroup. It would probably help to know whether every
entry could have only one page number, or whether multiple pages could be
expected. You should also mention what you think should happen with entries
that would break over to additional lines.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sheila

Hello, Cindy Meister

Well, I was afraid so...

And yes, every entry only appears once and therefore only has one page
number. If an entry has more than one line, the paragraph shall be "hanging"
by the page number plus some millimeters.

I'll have to do it with VBA then: unlink the whole index field, switch
columns, and rewrite it as plain text.

But anyway, thanks for your kind help!

Sheila