Simon

Default How do I decrease the space above the footnote separator?

Word 2000: Sometimes the space above the footnote separator is used with
text. But in most cases there is free space, which could be used for
additional text lines, which are put unfortunately on the next page. The text
at the end of one page and the text at the beginning at the other refers to
the same paragraph: Indents and spacing are 0; Problem with and without
orphan control; all other check boxes of the "line and page breaks" tab are
not marked. Paragraph spacing before and after footnotes and separator are 0.
Can you help me, please?

Stefan Blom

Make sure that the footnote separator doesn't include any empty
paragraphs; turn on the display of nonprinting characters to find out
(if you need instructions, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm). Also, make
sure that the Footnote Text paragraph style doesn't include formatting
such as "Keep lines together", which could cause a lot of white space
in the body text paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Simon" wrote in message
Word 2000: Sometimes the space above the footnote separator is used

with
text. But in most cases there is free space, which could be used for
additional text lines, which are put unfortunately on the next page.

The text
at the end of one page and the text at the beginning at the other

refers to
the same paragraph: Indents and spacing are 0; Problem with and

without
orphan control; all other check boxes of the "line and page breaks"

tab are
not marked. Paragraph spacing before and after footnotes and

separator are 0.
Can you help me, please?

Daiya Mitchell

In addition to Stefan's advice, these two links spell out what is going on
and what you can do to try to adjust it. Word handles footnote placement in
the background and you can't control it directly, but you can experiment
with settings to encourage Word to handle it in a way you prefer.

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BottomLine.htm

Footnote on Wrong Page
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...OnDiffPage.htm

On 11/8/05 4:05 AM, "Simon" wrote:

Word 2000: Sometimes the space above the footnote separator is used with
text. But in most cases there is free space, which could be used for
additional text lines, which are put unfortunately on the next page. The text
at the end of one page and the text at the beginning at the other refers to
the same paragraph: Indents and spacing are 0; Problem with and without
orphan control; all other check boxes of the "line and page breaks" tab are
not marked. Paragraph spacing before and after footnotes and separator are 0.
Can you help me, please?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Amy

The footnote in my case has an empty paragraph before the footnote text,
creating the extra white space. It's greyed out, so I cannot get at it to
delete it. How do I get rid of it?

"Simon" wrote in message
Word 2000: Sometimes the space above the footnote separator is used

with
text. But in most cases there is free space, which could be used for
additional text lines, which are put unfortunately on the next page.

The text
at the end of one page and the text at the beginning at the other

refers to
the same paragraph: Indents and spacing are 0; Problem with and

without
orphan control; all other check boxes of the "line and page breaks"

tab are
not marked. Paragraph spacing before and after footnotes and

separator are 0.
Can you help me, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Is the white space part of the separator or is it in the document itself? If
it is part of the separator, switch to Normal view, choose View | Footnotes,
select Footnote Separator from the dropdown on the toolbar, and delete the
extra paragraph.