Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vered202

Default How do I create a "book" from existing word documents

Hi,

I have a bunch of word document which I don't want to touch. I want to
combine them all into a "book". The book should have links to the individual
documents or have them copied automatically into the "book". I would like
that book to be perfectly linked to the documents also when it is copied to
another location (with the individual docs of course).

I know this used to be a feature in Word and I did it many years ago. I
can't seem to find this feature now.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Vered

Vered202 wrote:
I have a bunch of word document which I don't want to touch. I want to
combine them all into a "book". The book should have links to the individual
documents or have them copied automatically into the "book". I would like
that book to be perfectly linked to the documents also when it is copied to
another location (with the individual docs of course).

Can you elaborate a bit what you intend to do with that "book" once it
is finished? Depending on that information, the very best answer may
indeede be: create PDFs!

I know this used to be a feature in Word and I did it many years ago. I
can't seem to find this feature now.

You _might_ recall the Master-/Subdocument feature. However, with a
typical case (individual files have been created), with no further
preconditions met (like: those files have been created from the same
carefully crafted document template, styles have been used consistently
also and especially with any numbered paragraphs), compiling these into
a Master will most certainly have failed in the end (and even more so if
you go back in Word versions).

You might also recall INCLUDETEXT fields.

Or RD-fields (though I'm not positive you get the "automatically linked"
part that way.

HTH
Robert
--