Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
koala824 at Comcast koala824 at Comcast is offline

Default Word 2003 Style List

I would like a fast way to apply the Heading 1 style, rather than having to
scroll down to that selection from the Style dropdown list. Can I change the
order that styles are listed so my choice is at the top? Is there any other
way to apply a style with minimal keystrokes? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

koala824 at Comcast wrote:
I would like a fast way to apply the Heading 1 style, rather than
having to scroll down to that selection from the Style dropdown list.
Can I change the order that styles are listed so my choice is at the
top? Is there any other way to apply a style with minimal keystrokes?
Thanks

There are default keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+Alt+1 for Heading 1, Ctrl+Alt+2
for Heading 2, and Ctrl+Alt+3 for Heading 3. Although the default
assignments don't go any further, you can add more if you want them -- see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...roToHotkey.htm. That
will do not just for Heading styles but for any style.

In the Styles dropdown, after you click the down arrow to open it, type the
first letter (or more) of the name of the style you want, which will scroll
to the first style that starts with that letter or group of letters. Then
the one you want should be in view and you can quickly click it.

The order of styles in the Styles task pane can be changed in Word 2007
(through the Manage Styles dialog, Recommend tab, with the "Set priority"
group of buttons) but not in earlier versions. Even then, the Styles
dropdown (which you can add to the Quick Access Toolbar) will remain sorted
alphabetically.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pj pj is offline

Hi,

Try the paint brush button on the standard toolbar at the top. This magic
button allows you to quickly duplicate formatting.

To use it - highlight what you want to repeat (like a line with Heading 1),
press the paintbrush, then highlight the text you want to appear the same.

I find this easier than using the Styles. I used to be a fan of Styles but
there has been an unwelcome Word upgrade that has made the Styles too
complicated to use.

Phil