You're clicking *in* the TOC. It "grays" because you've clicked in a field.
But you haven't actually selected the whole field or anything in it. If you
try the same thing in normal text, clicking between two letters, you'll find
that Format | Font has the same lack of effect. Try selecting one specific
TOC entry (by clicking to the left of it) and applying your formatting.

wrote in message
I click on the TOC, it grays, I lt click, I choose 'font' on menu.
Choose size, color, lines, etc.

Click OK

And nadda changes!

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:11:14 +0200, "Robert M. Franz"
wrote:

Well, for a start: _How_ do you "pick Font/Color" ...?

Do you apply a color to a heading and the TOC doesn't reflect that? Or
are you trying to change the entries in the TOC themselves? Through
direct formatting? Preferrably: Through the TOC-styles ("TOC 1", "TOC
2", ...)?

Greetinx
Robert

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0516-7, 04/22/2005
Tested on: 4/22/2005 5:54:32 PM

One TOC *entry*--one specific chapter title, one paragraph, one line.

wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:28:14 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

You're clicking *in* the TOC. It "grays" because you've clicked in a

field.
But you haven't actually selected the whole field or anything in it. If

you
try the same thing in normal text, clicking between two letters, you'll

find
that Format | Font has the same lack of effect.

When I do that, the entire field for the TOC grays, and I get the
usual menu choices, edit field, etc.

Try selecting one specific
TOC entry (by clicking to the left of it) and applying your formatting.

I am selecting one TOC...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0518-1, 05/02/2005
Tested on: 5/3/2005 1:45:47 PM

jay

Are you trying to format the whole TOC, or just one line?
For the whole TOC, you're normally better off editing the styles.
If you click in the TOC and use the arrow keys to move through, you can
find places where the TOC1, TOC3 styles are shown (rather than
'Hyperlink) in Word's Formatting toolbar.
Then you can click the Styles and Formatting icon (or Format Styles
and Formatting...) to edit the style.
You may want to turn "auto-update" OFF for those styles, too...
cheers
Jay

Actually, leaving AutoUpdate on is much easier because then all you have to
do is apply formatting to a single entry, and the style is updated.

Moreover, if you will try this, you will find that when the insertion point
is in a TOC, even if you have the Styles and Formatting task pane set to
display "All styles," the TOC styles are not displayed and consequently
cannot be easily accessed for modification. It *is* possible to access them
by pressing Shift while clicking on the down arrow by the Style dropdown,
which will then list *all* styles.

"jay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Are you trying to format the whole TOC, or just one line?
For the whole TOC, you're normally better off editing the styles.
If you click in the TOC and use the arrow keys to move through, you can
find places where the TOC1, TOC3 styles are shown (rather than
'Hyperlink) in Word's Formatting toolbar.
Then you can click the Styles and Formatting icon (or Format Styles
and Formatting...) to edit the style.
You may want to turn "auto-update" OFF for those styles, too...
cheers
Jay

jay

I guess I leave auto-update "off" out of habit, now.
Odd, as I normally have my favorite app, Ventura, set to auto-update...

Maybe I need to review some of my work habits?
cheers
Jay