Tim

Default TAB no longer increases outline level or character

In the past I could right-click and select "Bullets and
numbering", then choose the outline tab, and choose which
format I wanted. Hitting enter would start a new line with
the same bullet character at the same outline-level. At
that point I could press TAB to increase the indent to the
next outline level, with the next bullet character.
Likewise, pressing SHIFT-TAB would decrease the indent and
revert the the previous outline level and bullet character.

But not anymore. Now after starting an outline, pressing
TAB increases the indent, but not the outline level or
bullet character - the text just gets farther away from the
little bullet, which is not very helpful for my outlines.
Furthermore, SHIFT-TAB seems to function exactly as TAB
does, it increases rather than decreases the indent.

Any ideas on how I can get this back?? Thanks
Tim
garfield-n-odie

Any ideas on what version of Word you're using?

In Word 97 and 2000, click on Tools | Options | Edit | check the "Tabs
and backspace set left indent" box | OK.

In Word 2002 and 2003, click on Tools | AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat
As You Type | check the "Set left- and first-indent with tabs and
backspaces" box | OK.