Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darren Ingram Darren Ingram is offline

Default Userform question (selecting name will self complete fields)

Hi all,

I have a userform where in the past I've had officers put in their first
name, family name and telephone extension amongst other fields to insert into
form letters.

What I want to do is have the officer scroll through a listbox, highlight
their name and have the userform self complete the family name, phone
extension and other constant fields.

Is this possible? What is it called?

Is their any special coding I must use?

Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

I'm thinking that I could store these constants (name, family name etc) in
an Excel document and have the Userform access this information an insert it
into a Word document..... I might be getting ahead of myself but this is the
desire...

Cheers for your future answers.....Darren.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This routine loads a listbox (or Combobox) with client details stored in a
table in a separate
document (which makes it easy to maintain with additions, deletions etc.),
that document being saved as Clients.Doc for the following code.

On the UserForm, have a list box (ListBox1) and a Command Button
(CommandButton1) and use the following code in the UserForm_Initialize() and
the CommandButton1_Click() routines

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
Dim sourcedoc As Document, i As Integer, j As Integer, myitem As Range,
m As Long, n As Long
' Modify the path in the following line so that it matches where you
saved Clients.doc
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
' Open the file containing the client details
Set sourcedoc = Documents.Open(FileName:="c:\Company.doc")
' Get the number or clients = number of rows in the table of client
details less one
i = sourcedoc.Tables(1).Rows.Count - 1
' Get the number of columns in the table of client details
j = sourcedoc.Tables(1).Columns.Count
' Set the number of columns in the Listbox to match
' the number of columns in the table of client details
ListBox1.ColumnCount = j
' Define an array to be loaded with the client data
Dim MyArray() As Variant
'Load client data into MyArray
ReDim MyArray(i, j)
For n = 0 To j - 1
For m = 0 To i - 1
Set myitem = sourcedoc.Tables(1).Cell(m + 2, n + 1).Range
myitem.End = myitem.End - 1
MyArray(m, n) = myitem.Text
Next m
Next n
' Load data into ListBox1
ListBox1.List() = MyArray
' Close the file containing the client details
sourcedoc.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim i As Integer, Addressee As String
Addressee = ""
For i = 1 To ListBox1.ColumnCount
ListBox1.BoundColumn = i
Addressee = Addressee & ListBox1.Value & vbCr
Next i
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("Addressee").Range.Insert After Addressee
UserForm2.Hide
End Sub

The Initialize statement will populate the listbox with the data from the
table and then when a client is selected in from the list and the command
button is clicked, the information for that client will be inserted into a
bookmark in the document. You may want to vary the manner in which it is
inserted to suit our exact requirements, but hopefully this will get you
started.

To make it easy for you, the code has been written so that it will deal with
any number of clients and any number of details about each client. It
assumes that the first row of the table containing the client details is a
header row.

The command button click event may need some modification for your needs,
but this should get you started.

A better newsgroup for this question would have been
microsoft.public.word.vba.userforms

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.