Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
V. Vamvas V. Vamvas is offline

Default Caption labels appear in wrong language

Here's the situation:
I click "Insert - Reference - Caption" and get the Caption window. The
problem is that the default caption labels in the "Label:" drop-down list
are not in english but in greek! Furthermore, these default labels can't be
deleted at all!

I have an english Windows XP SP3 installation and my Office version is
english 2003 Professional with all recent updates.

I need to somehow reset these default labels back to english, preferably
without reinstalling everything. Is there a place where I can just
replace/edit them or maybe replace a file?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Caption labels appear in wrong language

It sounds like the language settings for Microsoft Word may have been changed accidentally. Here are some steps you can try to reset the default caption labels back to English:
  1. Click on the "Start" button and select "Control Panel".
  2. In the Control Panel, select "Regional and Language Options".
  3. In the "Regional and Language Options" window, click on the "Languages" tab.
  4. Under "Supplemental language support", click on "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages (including Thai)" and then click "OK".
  5. Restart your computer.
  6. Open Microsoft Word and try inserting a caption again. The default labels should now be in English.

If this doesn't work, you can try resetting Word to its default settings:
  1. Close all Microsoft Office programs.
  2. Click on the "Start" button and select "Run".
  3. In the "Run" dialog box, type "winword /a" (without the quotes) and click "OK".
  4. Word will open in Safe Mode. Click on "File" and select "Options".
  5. In the "Word Options" dialog box, click on "Customize Ribbon".
  6. Click on "Reset" at the bottom of the window and then click "OK".
  7. Close Word and open it normally. Try inserting a caption again and the default labels should be in English.

If neither of these solutions work, you may need to reinstall Microsoft Office. However, this should be a last resort as it can be time-consuming and may result in the loss of some settings or preferences.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad I could help--and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"V. Vamvas" wrote in message
Thank you Stefan, it was the default language selection in the Microsoft
Office 2003 Language Settings which needed adjusting.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Make sure that you have English set as the language for Office and
Windows.
See http://homepage.hispeed.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm.

--
Stefan Blom