Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gary[_4_] Gary[_4_] is offline

Default Removing Header and Footer Sections

I am using Microsoft Word 2007 and received a resume document (in Word 2007
..docx format) from someone that I wish to change somewhat in order to create
my own resume.

The problem I am encountering is the two page resume document has header and
footer sections on both pages that I need to remove to make my changes. I
can remove the actual header and footer text (by clicking "Header - Remove
Header" and "Footer - Remove Footer") but am unable to remove the Header and
Footer SECTIONS in the document.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I am not sure I understand your description correctly. If you by €śremove the
Header and Footer SECTIONS€ť mean that you want to reduce the space taken up
by the header/footer areas, you can do so by reducing the size of the top and
bottom margins (Page Layout tab Page Setup group €“ click Margins and select
Custom Margins to open the Page Setup dialog box €“ alternatively, click the
little arrow in the bottom-right corner of the Page Setup group). The margins
can also be changed by dragging the gray €śmargin markers€ť in the vertical
ruler.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Gary" wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word 2007 and received a resume document (in Word 2007
..docx format) from someone that I wish to change somewhat in order to create
my own resume.

The problem I am encountering is the two page resume document has header and
footer sections on both pages that I need to remove to make my changes. I
can remove the actual header and footer text (by clicking "Header - Remove
Header" and "Footer - Remove Footer") but am unable to remove the Header and
Footer SECTIONS in the document.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gary[_4_] Gary[_4_] is offline

To clarify, when I click on the top and bottom of each page, a light blue
tab will appear and "Header -Section 1-", "Footer -Section 1-" will be
written in these light blue tabs. Can I just get rid of these header and
footer areas completely as opposed to just not having any text or objects in
them (having the sections blank). Or are Word 2007 documents automatically
formatted to include header and footer sections and the best I can do is
reduce the size of these sections?

It seems to me there would be alot of instances where a person would create
a Word document that did not require headers or footers. So why can't these
sections just be removed from the document, if not required?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you don't enter anything in the header/footer view there will not be a
header/footer. The limits of the page are set by the page margins (within
limits set by the printer driver). You cannot simply remove the function to
include a header footer simply because you don't want to add anything to it.

Gary wrote:
To clarify, when I click on the top and bottom of each page, a light
blue tab will appear and "Header -Section 1-", "Footer -Section 1-"
will be written in these light blue tabs. Can I just get rid of
these header and footer areas completely as opposed to just not
having any text or objects in them (having the sections blank). Or
are Word 2007 documents automatically formatted to include header and
footer sections and the best I can do is reduce the size of these
sections?
It seems to me there would be alot of instances where a person would
create a Word document that did not require headers or footers. So
why can't these sections just be removed from the document, if not
required?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

You cannot remove the header and footer. They are part of any document and
really useful for different purposes such as holding content to be repeated
on every page (e.g. logo or page number). This is _not_ new in Word 2007.

If you wish, you can try to set the top and bottom margins to 0 (zero).
However, your printer will most likely not be able to print to the edge of
the paper anyway so most likely a message will tell you that the value is not
OK €“ if you click €śFix€ť in the message, you find the smallest amount you
printer can handle). A document with text from the very top to the very
bottom would not look very well.

If your problem is that you do not want the header/footer areas to take up
room on the screen in Print Layout view, simply position the cursor on top
edge of a page. Double-click when it looks like a two-headed arrow. This will
collapse the header/footer of all pages (actually, double-clicking this way
toggles the setting Office button Word Options Display category Show
white space between pages in Print Layout view).

--

"Gary" wrote:

To clarify, when I click on the top and bottom of each page, a light blue
tab will appear and "Header -Section 1-", "Footer -Section 1-" will be
written in these light blue tabs. Can I just get rid of these header and
footer areas completely as opposed to just not having any text or objects in
them (having the sections blank). Or are Word 2007 documents automatically
formatted to include header and footer sections and the best I can do is
reduce the size of these sections?

It seems to me there would be alot of instances where a person would create
a Word document that did not require headers or footers. So why can't these
sections just be removed from the document, if not required?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gary[_4_] Gary[_4_] is offline

OK, I think I get it now. I had Word 2000 before I upgraded to Word 2007 a
few months ago and I don't remember seeing header and footer sections
automatically inserted into the document which became visible when you
clicked on the top or bottom of the page. Seemed to be something new, so
maybe it was introduced with Word 2003.

At any rate, I think I solved my dilemma by clicking the header and footer
sections and changing the "Header from Top" and "Footer from Bottom" height
to 0".

Doing this seems to work for me. Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

No, Word has always had headers and footers, but until Word 2007 you
couldn't just double-click to access the header or footer space before text
had been entered: you had to use View | Header and Footer (somewhat
unintuitive since there was not yet any header/footer text to "view"). But
they always inherently existed by virtue of there being header and footer
margins, and when you did "view" the header or footer, it was surrounded by
a dotted line indicating the space reserved for it. The display in Word 2007
is different, but the concept is still exactly the same.

Interestingly, if I open/create a blank document in Word 2007, double-click
in the header area, double-click back in the document body, and then click
the X to close, Word asks if I want to save the document. Despite the fact
that the Undo arrow is not enabled, Word seems to feel that something has
happened to change the document, perhaps that a header has been "created."

"Gary" wrote in message
. ..
OK, I think I get it now. I had Word 2000 before I upgraded to Word 2007
a few months ago and I don't remember seeing header and footer sections
automatically inserted into the document which became visible when you
clicked on the top or bottom of the page. Seemed to be something new, so
maybe it was introduced with Word 2003.

At any rate, I think I solved my dilemma by clicking the header and footer
sections and changing the "Header from Top" and "Footer from Bottom"
height to 0".

Doing this seems to work for me. Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Suzanne,
About the changed document: I had not noticed that before. I just made a few
macro lines to check the header before and after entering the header for the
first time. In both situations, each of the three header types exists and
contains a single paragraph mark - no differences were found.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

"Gary" wrote in message
. ..
OK, I think I get it now. I had Word 2000 before I upgraded to Word 2007
a few months ago and I don't remember seeing header and footer sections
automatically inserted into the document which became visible when you
clicked on the top or bottom of the page. Seemed to be something new, so
maybe it was introduced with Word 2003.

At any rate, I think I solved my dilemma by clicking the header and footer
sections and changing the "Header from Top" and "Footer from Bottom"
height to 0".

Doing this seems to work for me. Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PamC PamC is offline

I recall from reading discussions here and elsewhere--discussions
explaining why it's not a good idea to put headers and footers in the normal
template--that once a header or footer has been added to a document you
cannot get rid* of the ending paragraphs marks.

So, in a document that has never had header or footer content added,
displaying formatting marks while the cursor is in the main story shows no
paragraph mark in the header or footer. But doing the same thing in a
document that at one time had header or footer content will show a paragraph
mark in the now nearly empty header or footer.

I suspect that the difference is between the capability of a header/footer
and the user created reality of it.

*But not too long ago, a Word MVP, offered a VBA way of getting rid of it.
Sorry I can't recall where I saw it.

PamC

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not surprised. I just wonder what Word is registering as a change.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I think this must have been fixed (at least for Word 2003) because I can now
delete header/footer content in a Word 2003 document and see no empty
paragraph in the header/footer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not surprised. I just wonder what Word is registering as a change.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I think the only difference between Word 2007 and what was previously seen in
earlier versions here is that the paragraph mark is now made invisible if
there is no other content in the header (the same applies to the footer). If
you run the following little macro, you will find that the apparently empty
header always contains a paragraph mark:

Sub TestHeader()
With ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterP rimary).Range
If .Text = Chr(13) Then
MsgBox "Header consists of a paragraph mark"
ElseIf .Text = "" Then
MsgBox "Header is empty"
End If
End With
End Sub

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not surprised. I just wonder what Word is registering as a change.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In Word 2003, I can use View | Header and Footer to open the header, type
something in it, close the header, then reopen it and delete the text. When
I then close the header, not only is no paragraph mark displayed in the
header, but I can not open the header by double-clicking on it. IOW, I'm
back to Square Zero. This suggests to me that something has been fixed, and
that it should be possible to remove the headers of Word 2003 docs (or even
Normal.dot), leaving no residue.

Moreover, the template I use most often used to have an ineradicable header
paragraph because I had foolishly opened the header to change the tab stops
(because I had changed the margins), instead of changing them in Format |
Style: Header without opening the header pane). Even though the header was
"empty," there was an empty paragraph mark there. It is now no longer there.
Again, I think some SP or other must have fixed this.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not surprised. I just wonder what Word is registering as a change.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sally Sally is offline

Sally replies - open up the header and/or footer, delete data in the box,
reduce the size of the box and then close. The header and/or footer will not
appear on your document.

"Gary" wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word 2007 and received a resume document (in Word 2007
..docx format) from someone that I wish to change somewhat in order to create
my own resume.

The problem I am encountering is the two page resume document has header and
footer sections on both pages that I need to remove to make my changes. I
can remove the actual header and footer text (by clicking "Header - Remove
Header" and "Footer - Remove Footer") but am unable to remove the Header and
Footer SECTIONS in the document.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Regarding Word 2003: I have noticed that same and agree that something must
have been fixed (that was why I €“ very unclear, I think - wrote €ś€¦what was
previously seen in earlier versions€¦€ť). My point with the macro was to show
that even if one cannot see the paragraph mark, it is still there.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not surprised. I just wonder what Word is registering as a change.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I guess what I'm seeing as a difference is that now, if I set the top margin
to 0.4" without changing the header margin to less than the default 0.5",
the empty header no longer interferes.

"Lene Fredborg" wrote in message
Regarding Word 2003: I have noticed that same and agree that something
must
have been fixed (that was why I - very unclear, I think - wrote ".what was
previously seen in earlier versions."). My point with the macro was to

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not surprised. I just wonder what Word is registering as a
change.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I also see that it works as you describe. I dont remember having noticed the
"header from edge" problem earlier - most likely because I did not test so
small margins then.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not surprised. I just wonder what Word is registering as a
change.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
KJ KJ is offline

I found a way around having to change margin settings and it seems to work
every time.

The trick is that you HAVE to actually be in the header or footer field for
it to work. Turn on Show/Hide so you see paragraph marks and go into the
header field or footer field. If there is text to delete, highlight it,
delete it then click on the Close Header/Footer button in the Header/Footer
Design Tab. The last paragraph mark in the header should become the first
paragraph mark in the body AT the top of the page. If you DON'T open the
header area and just hit the delete header key, the last paragraph mark still
holds the space for a new nonexistent header.

If just the paragraph mark is there, highlight it and click the close header
button, you may have to do this a few times to get it to disappear, but it
will happen. Again, if you just hit Delete, it won't work so make sure to
use the Close Header/Footer button.

KJ