Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony[_2_] Tony[_2_] is offline

Default Indexing File in Word 2000

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can share experience they may have with indexing
Word documents - specifially Word 2000. I see that I can use Word's
built-in tools and there are packages that claim to be able to create
indices. However, I'm suspect of the latter; I'm sure an app knows to
ignore if, but, or, etc., but I would think it may miss key words and
phrases, and include false-positives.

My inclination is to instruct the user to use Word's built-in tools and
apply manual editing to the results, but maybe someone knows of a better way
to skin this cat...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony[_2_] Tony[_2_] is offline

Thanks for the reply. I've seen this in Word and that's the way the user is
going to proceed. Seems like a lot of work (doc is over 500 pages) but from
the bit of research I've done it looks like the best option.

"Tony" | wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can share experience they may have with indexing
Word documents - specifially Word 2000. I see that I can use Word's
built-in tools and there are packages that claim to be able to create
indices. However, I'm suspect of the latter; I'm sure an app knows to
ignore if, but, or, etc., but I would think it may miss key words and
phrases, and include false-positives.

My inclination is to instruct the user to use Word's built-in tools and
apply manual editing to the results, but maybe someone knows of a better
way to skin this cat...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bogey Man Bogey Man is offline

The type and complexity of the document being produced and the target user
of the index will almost certainly dictate what a "useful" index is.

Indexes are not "one size fits all." In my own experience, automatic
indexing almost never produces an acceptable and useful index regardless of
the method producing it. At best, automation gives you a place to start.

Good luck with your project.