Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PBManon PBManon is offline

Default How do I allow editing in a header in a protected form/document?

I'd like the users to be able to type information into the header on the
second page (such that the header ibnfo carrries forward). The page 2 header
is in its very own section already. Each time I apply protection to the
document (and exclude that section from protection) the header remnains
locked. I'm making an inspection form where the info on page one is formatted
differently from the info on the supplimental pages. Is there another way to
do this if I cannot allow protected header entering?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If by any chance the information that would be entered into the header was
also being entered into a form field in the first section, you could use a
cross reference field in the header to the text of the bookmark assigned to
that form field and check the Calculate on Exit box for that formfield.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"PBManon" wrote in message
I'd like the users to be able to type information into the header on the
second page (such that the header ibnfo carrries forward). The page 2
header
is in its very own section already. Each time I apply protection to the
document (and exclude that section from protection) the header remnains
locked. I'm making an inspection form where the info on page one is
formatted
differently from the info on the supplimental pages. Is there another way
do this if I cannot allow protected header entering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Even if a protected form has unprotected sections, there are several
operations that are disabled, incl. editing headers and footers.

I can think of the following solution:

1. In the top (not the header) of page 2 (section 2), inserted a text form
field. Format the field with at style that will only be used for that field.
In this example, the style is named €śMyStyle€ť. You need to tell the user what
to type in the field. You could e.g. insert a default text that says
something like €śEnter the header text to be inserted in Section 2€ť.

2. In the header of section 2, insert a StyleRef field that refer to
€śMyStyle€ť. The field code will look like this:

{ StyleRef "MyStyle" }

See Words help on the StyleRef field if you need more information.

The StyleRef field will automatically be updated when the text form field
(Step 1) is changed.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"PBManon" wrote:

I'd like the users to be able to type information into the header on the
second page (such that the header ibnfo carrries forward). The page 2 header
is in its very own section already. Each time I apply protection to the
document (and exclude that section from protection) the header remnains
locked. I'm making an inspection form where the info on page one is formatted
differently from the info on the supplimental pages. Is there another way to
do this if I cannot allow protected header entering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default How do I allow editing in a header in a protected form/documen

Correction to my previous post:
Since section 2 is unprotected, the text form field (Step 1) should be
inserted in the protected section, i.e. section 1. Sorry...

If placed in section 2, the text form field would be replaced by normal text
when typing text - the StyleRef field would still work but the paragraph
could too easily be deleted by the user.

--

"PBManon" wrote:

I'd like the users to be able to type information into the header on the
second page (such that the header ibnfo carrries forward). The page 2 header
is in its very own section already. Each time I apply protection to the
document (and exclude that section from protection) the header remnains
locked. I'm making an inspection form where the info on page one is formatted
differently from the info on the supplimental pages. Is there another way to
do this if I cannot allow protected header entering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PBManon PBManon is offline

I was soooo excited about your solution I tried it first. I must be doing
something wrong as it is not populating on exit. Will plug on though. Thanks
for trying!

"PBManon" wrote in message
I'd like the users to be able to type information into the header on the
second page (such that the header ibnfo carrries forward). The page 2
header
is in its very own section already. Each time I apply protection to the
document (and exclude that section from protection) the header remnains
locked. I'm making an inspection form where the info on page one is
formatted
differently from the info on the supplimental pages. Is there another way
do this if I cannot allow protected header entering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

REF fields don't work in the header of a protected document. That's why you
need to use StyleRef instead. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

"PBManon" wrote in message
I'd like the users to be able to type information into the header on
the
second page (such that the header ibnfo carrries forward). The page 2
header
is in its very own section already. Each time I apply protection to
the
document (and exclude that section from protection) the header
remnains
locked. I'm making an inspection form where the info on page one is
formatted
differently from the info on the supplimental pages. Is there another
way
do this if I cannot allow protected header entering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PBManon PBManon is offline

Does this also solve the probelm??

If by any chance the information that would be entered into the header was
also being entered into a form field in the first section (which it is!!!),

"PBManon" wrote:

I'd like the users to be able to type information into the header on the
second page (such that the header ibnfo carrries forward). The page 2 header
is in its very own section already. Each time I apply protection to the
document (and exclude that section from protection) the header remnains
locked. I'm making an inspection form where the info on page one is formatted
differently from the info on the supplimental pages. Is there another way to
do this if I cannot allow protected header entering?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

If you use a StyleRef field instead of a cross-ref, you would not need to
change to Print Preview to update the field. The StyleRef field would update
automatically as soon as you type the text in the related text form field.

If I understand your description correctly, you already have a text form
field with the correct text in a text form field on page 1. You only need to
apply the unique style to that field and make the StyleRef field in the
header of section 2 refer to the style (see the description in my first post).