Stephanie Kelly

Default Problem with mail merge Data

I use Office 2002XP

When merging a document from Excel into Word for a Label mail merge the
first row of data becomes the header. There is a header and the box that
asks that is checked. Tried deleting the header, unmarking the box, moving
the first row of data. Nothing seems to work.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U3RlcGhhbmllIEtlbGx5?=,

I'm not sure I understand. Header, as in View/Header and Footer? Or header as
in repeat the first table row on each new page?

To which box that is checked are you referring (menu command to get there)?

I use Office 2002XP

When merging a document from Excel into Word for a Label mail merge the
first row of data becomes the header. There is a header and the box that
asks that is checked. Tried deleting the header, unmarking the box, moving
the first row of data.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Stephanie Kelly

In Mail Merge wizard after you select the file (the data source) then you go
into the file to select the records to merge (you can sort the data etc in
this step). This box is taking the first row of data and using it as a
header row. So instead of "First Name" being the first column it is
"Daniel". When selecting the data source file there is a box that asks if
the file has a header row, this is checked. Also tried to unselect the box.
Also tried to remove the header row in the data source. The only way I got
around it was to select the whole excel spreadsheet and paste it into a new
book. I assumed the file was corrupt in some way. This seemed to work for
me, but if there is an easier answer I would love to hear what you have to
say. Thank you.