darbea

Default How do I get proper numbering level in outline numbering

I am using Word 2003 and cannot get Outline Numbering to insert the proper
level of numbering. I have tried right clicking/increase indent and then
format/bullets and numbering/choosing the level I want (level 2) and clicking
OK and it just goes back to level one. I have tried shift/alt/right arrow
and then format, etc. and it still goes back to level one. Is there a
problem with this version of Word that anyone knows? I work in a law office
and would like to use this feature often but cannot get it to work. HELP!!!
Margaret Aldis

The best way of getting reliable numbering is to use styles. See

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

Once you have outline numbering set up correctly, you should be able to move
through the levels with increase indent (promote list item) and get the
format and numbering you expect.

If you can't use styles and are forced to use the Format Bullets and
Numbering dialog, then use it *once* at the start of your list to set up the
format for all the levels. You can then change the level on individual
numbered paragraphs as you wish. As you've found, you can't use that dialog
to apply a specific level, only to apply the outline numbering format as a
whole. (Actually, if you just select a pane, you'll keep the level you have,
but potentially change the format of that item and any others in the same
list, but that really isn't a good way of trying to control numbering!)

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP