Saviourmachine

Default How to customize Headers?

What's the best way to customize the Headers in my Word document? In my
document I have these headers:

Foreword _______________________ II
Introduction ___________________ III
Chapter 1 Universality ___________ 1
Chapter 2 Uniqueness ____________ 2
Chapter 3 Iconicity ______________ 3
References ______________________ A

The Index is hidden in the TOC. The Foreword and Introduction are in a
seperate section, as well as the text chapters, as well as the references at
the end of the document.

I would like to have the 'ordinary text' chapters the prefix 'Chapter x'
like depicted. What's the best thing to do? To create a custom
"NumberedHeader 1" and changing it list properties? And create another
customized style "UnnumberedHeader" for the Foreword, Intro and References
chapters? And a "NotTOCHeader" for the Index header?

Or is it better to use Word's inbuilt styles? Making "Header 1" like
"NumberedHeader 1". And e.g. "Header 6" equal to the style "UnnumberedHeader"
(with level 1) and "Header 7" equal to the style "NotTOCHeader" (with level
9).

I guess it's the latter. I see already some advantage because I'm using {
IncludeText } fields and wouldn't like to update all normal "Header 1" in all
the included documents to something like "NumberedHeader 1".

I'd appreciate to hear some advantages or disadvantages of the mentioned
methods. Many thanks in advance!
Saviourmachine

Sorry about the syntax, I didn't notice the double quotes were a problem.
I'll repost my question:
____________________________________

[...]

I am not seeing any problem with your quotes. What you want is a StyleRef
field to pick up the chapter number and title. You will find information on
this in the Help topic "Field codes: StyleRef field" and in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

"Saviourmachine" wrote in message
news
[...]

Saviourmachine

Ah, ah! My fault! I consistenly used the wrong word 'Header' in stead of
'Heading'. Mistake, mistake! Maybe my question does make sense now. I'll
repost another time:
____________________

What's the best way to customize the Headings in my Word document? In my
document I have these headings:

Foreword _______________________ II
Introduction ___________________ III
Chapter 1 Universality ___________ 1
Chapter 2 Uniqueness ____________ 2
Chapter 3 Iconicity ______________ 3
References ______________________ A

The Index is hidden in the TOC. The Foreword and Introduction are in a
seperate section, as well as the text chapters, as well as the references at
the end of the document.

I would like to add to the 'ordinary text' chapters the prefix 'Chapter x'
like you can see above. What's the best thing to do? To create a custom
'NumberedHeading 1' and changing it list properties? And create another
customized style 'UnnumberedHeading' for the Foreword, Intro and References
chapters? And a 'NotTOCHeading' for the Index header?

Or is it better to use Word's inbuilt styles? Making 'Heading 1' like
'NumberedHeading 1'. And e.g. 'Heading 6' equal to the style
'UnnumberedHeading' and 'Heading 7' equal to the style 'NotTOCHeading (and
adding respectively excluding these Headings when creating a TOC).

I guess it's the latter. I see already some advantage because I'm using
{IncludeText} fields and wouldn't like to update all normal 'Heading 1' in
all the included documents to something like 'NumberedHeading 1'.

I'd appreciate to hear some advantages or disadvantages of the mentioned
methods. Many thanks in advance!
Daiya Mitchell

I'm very curious about what this means, and why the index is at the front of
your book? (where I imagine no one will know to look for it?)

The Index is hidden in the TOC.

In general, it is a better idea to stick with Word's built-in styles, for
reasons see:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html

If I have interpreted the question correctly:

You can use Heading 1 (with numbering added) for the chapters, and Heading 2
(without numbering) for Foreword, Intro, References, etc, and define Heading
1 and Heading 2 to be identical save for the numbering, and when creating
the TOC, click on Options, and set the TOC level for Heading 1 and Heading 2
to the same number, and then the TOC entries for those will also be
identical. (Then all these headings will look the same to the reader, but
Word can treat them differently).

I am not sure why the Index heading would need a different style from the
Foreword heading, in your book. I guess if you don't want the TOC entry to
have a page number, it needs a different TOC level to automate that, and
thus a different style, which again, you would presumably define as nearly
identical.

When modifying Heading 1 and Heading 2, you will have to be careful of the
"based on" setting, which lets styles inherit settings from each other. It
may in fact be easier to use Heading 1 unnumbered and add the numbering to
Heading 2, as otherwise Heading 2 may inherit the numbering and then you
will have to remove it. I forget the exact dynamics, and what will happen
to Heading 3. You may need to experiment a bit. The general principle of
what I said above will hold, regardless of the exact details of Heading 1 or
Heading 2, etc.

You will also find a list of useful links relative to such documents here,
though possibly more basic than you need right now:
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

If you are using outline numbering within your chapters, see he
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

In that case, it *might* be better to use a non-built-in style for the Index
and Intro/Foreword/References, to keep them from interfering with the rest
of your numbering hierarchy, though I'm not entirely sure. Same principles
apply.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Saviourmachine

Hi Daiya,

Thank you for your answer. The link
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html was
just what I was looking for. Oh, no. Index is Dutch, in English I mean
Contents. The heading Contents doesn't have to show up in the ToC itself, of
course. That's why I defined an additional heading for it.

The shortcut keys Ctrl+Alt+1 are for built-in styles. That's indeed an
advantage. I use a macro with Alt+1 to update my Heading 1 style on the fly.
In that case built-in styles are handy too.

The numbering Heading 2 for the chapters, and Heading 1 for the Intro etc.
In that case Heading 3 has to inherit from Heading 1. That's possible.
However, in the documents that I link by { InsertText } fields, the chapter
heading is Heading 1, the second Heading 2, etc. So, I'll stick with using
the (unnecessary) Heading 6 en 7 for the Intro, etc sections, and the
Contents section. That gives only an awkward look in the Ouline view.

Oh, something is entering my mind. :-) To create consistency betwen the
different Header styles (numbered, unnumbered and invisible in ToC) all of
them can be inherited from a custom Heading style. Thus again an
UnnumberedHeading and InvisibleInToCHeading. Only point 8, 9, 10, 11 and 14
apply.
It's a pity they didn't define Heading for these section, because there is
an Index Heading, as well as a TOA Heading. Maybe something for a new
version. :-)

You helped me a lot, thanks!

Andy

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Hi Andy,

Glad that helped. Thanks for clearing my curiosity about the Index.

Word's English term for those fields bringing in your documents is {
IncludeText }, just by the way. Though your translation is perfectly
comprehensible to anyone familiar with the feature.

Oh, something is entering my mind. :-) To create consistency betwen the
different Header styles (numbered, unnumbered and invisible in ToC) all of
them can be inherited from a custom Heading style. Thus again an
UnnumberedHeading and InvisibleInToCHeading. Only point 8, 9, 10, 11 and 14
apply.

Yes, creating a custom style for each Heading style to be separately based
on is probably the best idea. Then you get the advantages of inheritance
without the disadvantages. I've used that frequently, but not thought to
apply it to Headings. But I think all the advantages of using the built-in
styles still apply, because you don't actually format anything in this
style. It just exists as a base, and is not actually used anywhere.

Also, I think just one base would be needed, you seem to mention 2. The
base doesn't need to have an outline level or numbering because you add
those to the style themselves.

Daiya