Jim C

Default To write 3 identical columns on one 8X11 sheet

Using Micro-soft word 2002 that came with computer

I am trying to make 3 columns of info on one 8x11 sheet so I can then copy
thousands needed..
1 thousand sheets will give me 3000 sheets of info to be distributed as
needed..

I have used margins to make the needed size, then added one image and other
info..nothing seems to stay in place when I either try to print it or save
it..
Is there a name for this proceedure? and are you able to steer me in the
right direction?

many thanks
jim

There are several ways to do this. Some people advocate using a three-column
table, but I find this awkward because (a) you have to allow for space
between the columns equal to the sum of your outside margins, and (b) some
formatting is difficult to impossible in tables.

I prefer to use three newspaper-style columns. Divide them with column
breaks (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) to keep the contents of each column where you want
it. Make the distance between columns the sum of the outside margins. Put
the information into the first column and get it just the way you want it,
then Copy/Paste into the other two columns. I do this routinely to make
"bookmarks" of the schedule for our library book review program.

For more on columns, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm

"Jim C" wrote in message
Using Micro-soft word 2002 that came with computer

I am trying to make 3 columns of info on one 8x11 sheet so I can then copy
thousands needed..
1 thousand sheets will give me 3000 sheets of info to be distributed as
needed..

I have used margins to make the needed size, then added one image and

other
info..nothing seems to stay in place when I either try to print it or save
it..
Is there a name for this proceedure? and are you able to steer me in the
right direction?

many thanks
jim

Jay Freedman

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:29:31 -0400, "Jim C" wrote:

Using Micro-soft word 2002 that came with computer

I am trying to make 3 columns of info on one 8x11 sheet so I can then copy
thousands needed..
1 thousand sheets will give me 3000 sheets of info to be distributed as
needed..

I have used margins to make the needed size, then added one image and other
info..nothing seems to stay in place when I either try to print it or save
it..
Is there a name for this proceedure? and are you able to steer me in the
right direction?

many thanks
jim

Don't try to use the Columns feature for this. Make a 3-column by
1-row table, and use Format Borders & Shading to turn off the
borders (or use the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+U). Create the content for one
sheet in the first cell. Copy the cell to the clipboard; then select
the whole table and paste to fill the other cells with the same
content.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman