Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ryan

Default Change To Title Case Upon Mail Merge Problem

Hi,

Hope someone can help. I see similar problems discussed here, but the
solutions posted don't seem to be working for me.

We have a new customer datebase system that is SUPPOSED to allow us to
do mail merges into word documents we create. Our entire customer
database is in caps and, of course, we need it to be title case for
letters.

Sounds easy, but it hasn't been.

They have given us a manual that insists we use a certain format when
writing a letter and dropping in one of their fields. They are listed
as %CustomerName% or %CustomerPhone%, the fields are not dropped in as
you would with a normal mail merge letter within office, you must use
the "%" signs.

To us, that is new.

In any event, we have tried every word command we can find here for a
change to title case. We have tried it before the field command, after
the field command, after the "%" and before the last one. NOTHING
works and our letters come out in ALL CAPS.

We have asked for assistance and all we get is "it's easy to change to
title case in word, just use the normal commands". THAT IS NOT
HELPFUL.

Any ideas on what we should try?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GTS

"Ryan" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well the usual Word switch for formal caps is \* Caps as in
{MERGEFIELD WHATEVER\* Caps}
but quite where you would stick it in your percentage marks...
Graham

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Press Alt+F9 to display the field codes and add the following formatting
switch inside the closing }

\* Lower \* FirstCap

Note however, that will only work for a mergefield that contains a single
word. For example, it will change

VIRGINIA to Virginia

but

NEW YORK will become New york.

You may need to use a catalog, or in Word XP and later, it is called a
directory, type mailmerge main document to create a new datasource from the
customer database and then you can use Word's FormatChangeCase ability to
change all of the records and then use them for the mailmerge.

The best thing though would be to get the data in the database changed to
the way in which YOU want to use it. Don't take NO for an answer. If
that's what you get, ask for you money back.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Ryan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ryan

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Press Alt+F9 to display the field codes and add the following formatting
switch inside the closing }

Sadly, because I am using "$" before and after the fields to make our
front end system happy, Word doesn't realize these are mail merge
fields so Alt+F9 doesn't bring up anything.

If I use the standard system for Word mail merge fields, our system
won't drop in the data because it wants to use "$" before and after
each field. Very fustrating.

I have written the software company for a solution.