Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Grd

Default How to do a soft return?

Hi ,

Someone mentioned to me that I should be using soft returns for addresses so
it will be one paragraph versus many.

But they didn't know how to do it? Is there a keyboard shortcut for this?

Thanks

Janet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson

A sidenote, if you please:

I notice that the application of terminology is changing and with that
comes some subtle shift of meaning.

In the days of Teletype/Telex if one entered text continuously,
eventually, the end of line was reached and the hardware would cause the
carriage to return full left and cause the paper to go up one line. This
was done by an actual switch so was a hardware or hard return, line feed.

One had the option of manually causing the carriage return plus line feed
(CR LF) by pressing keys. This was called a "soft" CR LF.

The codes used for these and other purposes were ratified as the ASCII and
extended as the American National Standard Code for Information
Interchange (ASCII/ASNI standard). Another common standard is Extended
Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code (EBCDIC).

(Incidentally: Depending on the machine model, one could get CR, LF or CR
+ LF. The carriage moved rather slowly on the right to left journey and if
the text entry/transmission continued immediately after CR, it was likely
that you would find some three to six characters overtyped on the
previously-sent and printed text as the carriage moved left. An operator
quickly learned to use short lines and manual CR LF or to insert
non-printing characters after CR LF. I used to insert three Lower Case
(LC) commands for reasons I will discuss given the least provocation.
;-))

Tom Ferguson
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: Actually, a "soft return" is an automatic word wrap at the end of a
line.
: What you are describing is a line break, inserted using Shift+Enter.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so
: all may benefit.
:
: "Grd" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi ,
:
: Someone mentioned to me that I should be using soft returns for
addresses
: so
: it will be one paragraph versus many.
:
: But they didn't know how to do it? Is there a keyboard shortcut for
this?
:
: Thanks
:
: Janet
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans

I remember the first time I used a Telex machine and the speed of the
operator was more of an issue than the speed of the machine. At one point I
went back to correct a mistake I spotted as the paper rolled up, and it was
only afterwards I realised that I couldn't do that by which time, of course,
the recipient had already received the nonsense.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

[...]

: "Grd" wrote in message