Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Levi

Default Two printers, two paper trays and a 2 page document

I have a document (template) that we want it to print on letterhead paper on
the first page and plain paper for all pages after. We have 2 printers (both
HPLaserJet8000) loaded with Letterhead paper in tray 3 and plain paper in
tray 2. All users use the same print drivers (PS) but may have either set as
their default printer.

With printer 1 set as my default, I set the page options as the first page
to Paper tray 3 (letterhead paper loaded) and Other pages to Tray 2 (plain
paper loaded). The document is then saved to a network share.

When opening it on another computer (same two printers installed with the
same drivers) printer 2 set as the default printer, the page setup options
are changed back to "default tray" or "auto select". If I change to printer
1, the page setup settings are correct.

Should this template/Doc save the page setup regardless of the printer being
chosen if the same driver is used?? If not, how does one set this up so that
it will work regardless of which printer is chosen? Does the printer
installed on each computer dictate the page setup options?

I can provide more info if needed.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It does sound as if you're doing everything right. If you don't get a
satisfactory answer here, you might try posting in
microsoft.public.word.printingfonts.

"Levi" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Levi

It seems as though the person creating the template must be using the same
default printer (and driver) as the people opening the template. If this is
done, the page setup configuation will work correctly and everything will
print from the correct paper trays. If the person or persons opening the
template have a different default printer than the creator of the template,
the settings are set back to 'auto select' or 'default tray' and each user
must check the page setup options before printing.
For us, it seems that the only solution might be to create different
templates for each different printer. Then the user would select the
cooresponding template to his or her default printer. Seems like a pain in
the butt to me...
I have told them to simply check the printer/page setup properties before
printing. Seems like the easiest solution.