Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandip

Default Automatically going to outline view when inserting header in Word

Whenever I try to insert a table or header etc. the view reverts to 'outline'
and when I return it to 'normal' or 'web' the table/header is cancelled.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you sure it's Outline view? Typically, when you use View | Header and
Footer, Word switches to Print Layout view. If you display the Tables and
Borders toolbar, it also switches to Print Layout (but the toolbar is
retained if you switch back to Normal); this doesn't happen if you use the
Insert Table button on the Standard toolbar.

"Sandip" wrote in message
Whenever I try to insert a table or header etc. the view reverts to

'outline'
and when I return it to 'normal' or 'web' the table/header is cancelled.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandip

Default Automatically going to outline view when inserting header in W

You're absolutely right - of course it is Print Layout view.
How do I prevent this from happening - although I take your advice re
entering tables - I am finding it impossible to put a header in at all.
I don't think this used to happen with my Word - I may have inadvertently
changed something.

"Sandip" wrote in message
Whenever I try to insert a table or header etc. the view reverts to

'outline'
and when I return it to 'normal' or 'web' the table/header is cancelled.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To insert a header, you should use View | Header and Footer. This is
somewhat counterintuitive when you don't yet have a header to "view," and
especially in that Word doesn't allow you to double-click in the header
space to open the header pane until you do have a header. For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure it's Outline view? Typically, when you use View | Header

and
Footer, Word switches to Print Layout view. If you display the Tables

and
Borders toolbar, it also switches to Print Layout (but the toolbar is
retained if you switch back to Normal); this doesn't happen if you use

the
Insert Table button on the Standard toolbar.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Sandip" wrote in message
Whenever I try to insert a table or header etc. the view reverts to

'outline'
and when I return it to 'normal' or 'web' the table/header is

cancelled.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandip

Thank you. I hadn't explained my problem very clearly - when trying to insert
a header it reverted to print layout view with the whole page appearing very
small. I have since realised that I can manipulate the zoom in print layout
view so as to actually see what I am typing in the header, so problem solved.