Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Ellis

Default Can't open Word Document

Hello,
Im a MS Office novice and would like some expert help. I was directed to
this site by a good friend (Zack Barresse aka Firefytr). I usually go to him
for help in Excel, but Ive stumped him with this Word problem.

My problem is€¦
When I try and open a Word document from €śMy Documents€ť all I get is a Word
window with nothing else. No document, no menu bars or toolbars, but I do get
a flashing Word button on the taskbar. When I try to close the program it
does nothing. I cant even close it in Task Manager. The only way to end the
program is to shut down the PC.

If I open Word first and then open the document from within Word all is fine
it seems and I havent had any problems so far.

Im running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 5.1 Service Pack 2 with
MS Office Standard Edition 2003 for Students and Teachers.

Thanks in advance for any help sent my way.
Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

If you're using Symantec/Norton AntiVirus, try disabling the
Office Plugin that comes with it. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office
programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more
information.

Bill Ellis wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Ellis

Hey,
Thanks a bunch. I will try that when I go off shift tonight.

Bill Ellis wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See also €śThe Word title bar flashes or the Word program becomes
unresponsive when Word is running€ť
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812075