Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FSS

Default Lost overnite, bibliographies in 7 docs created over months

Working two semesters on several exegesis papers. First document created in
Oct 2005. Copied bibliography from most recent doc each time started a new
paper for a starting point. Lots of saves and backup files. A couple of
weeks ago began new paper with most current biblio. Saved many times. Added
new content as recently as 3 days ago. Noticed yesterday the bibliography
(only) was missing from most recent document and its backup, and from the
last most recent document and its backup. Today I discovered the biblio also
is missing from the original document and its backup, and every intermediate
document. What could have happened?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Any chance you are using the Master Document "feature?"
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"FSS" wrote in message
Working two semesters on several exegesis papers. First document created
in
Oct 2005. Copied bibliography from most recent doc each time started a
new
paper for a starting point. Lots of saves and backup files. A couple of
weeks ago began new paper with most current biblio. Saved many times.
Added
new content as recently as 3 days ago. Noticed yesterday the bibliography
(only) was missing from most recent document and its backup, and from the
last most recent document and its backup. Today I discovered the biblio
also
is missing from the original document and its backup, and every
intermediate
document. What could have happened?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Hi Fran,

You should not be using the Master Document recovery methods unless you were
using Master Documents. It doesn't sound or look like you are. Did you have
this all in one big document or was it a bunch of smaller documents that you
combined somehow?

A section break, in and of itself, should not be causing you to lose parts
of your document.

I hope you have learned to make sequential backups.

Without using the Master Document feature, I don't know of anything you
would be doing in a current document that would change backups or historical
copies.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Dear Charles Kenyon,

Thank you for answering my question (below) on the Word user group about
losing my bibliography(ies). I never heard of a master document, but I'm
assuming from the instructions you linked at mvps.org that my Normal
template is acting like a master document and is corrupted.
I suspect the problem occurred when I put a Section Break (I didn't know
exactly what one was, but I thought I might need it) in front of the
Bibliography in my most recent document. I'm in Word2003, but I'm not
surprised that this is all related.
I'm going to try John McGhie's approach to recovery, but I also may have to
find as many source documents as I can and re-enter - a big hassle because
some were browsed at Rice University library and some on the internet.
Oh, well - at least I've learned something new and important. Thanks
again.

Fran Steele
FSS

"FSS" wrote in message
Working two semesters on several exegesis papers. First document created
in
Oct 2005. Copied bibliography from most recent doc each time started a
new
paper for a starting point. Lots of saves and backup files. A couple of
weeks ago began new paper with most current biblio. Saved many times.
Added
new content as recently as 3 days ago. Noticed yesterday the
bibliography
(only) was missing from most recent document and its backup, and from the
last most recent document and its backup. Today I discovered the biblio
also
is missing from the original document and its backup, and every
intermediate
document. What could have happened?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GABorden GABorden is offline

I have located a Bibliography folder at this location that appears to contain
all the references created across all documents using the reference wizard.
Perhaps this folder is still available and contains your data/documents.
look in: c:\documents and settings\"your user name" application
Data\Microsoft\bibliography

When I copied this folder to a different computer, opened word 2007, and
opened a blank word document, clicked on references and manage sources, the
references were all there.

Hope this helps you.