Michael R

Default Find and Replace

Is it possible to use find and replace to find formatting marks? I have
a document that I need to place a tab after each line. each line is
it's own paragraph. rather than manually doing it, I was wondering if
find and replace would work. I click on the format button in the find
and replace dialog box (after clicking more) and then select paragraph,
but I cant seem to figure it out. I am using Word XP, Thanks in advance
for any help

Michael R

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If you want to replace the paragraph mark with a tab and paragraph mark,
type ^p in the "Find what" box and ^t^p in the "Replace with" box. The codes
can be entered using the Special menu you can access by clicking More in the
dialog.

ughh!! thanks Suzanne. I must have looked at that "special" button 50
times while messing with the format button. I dont know how I missed
it. sorry for the idiotic question

Thanks again
Graham Mayor

While Suzanne has explained how to do this with replace - wouldn't it be
easier (and produce a better formatted document) to include a first line
indent with the paragraph style used for these paragraphs?

Michael R wrote:
Is it possible to use find and replace to find formatting marks? I
have a document that I need to place a tab after each line. each
line is it's own paragraph. rather than manually doing it, I was
wondering if find and replace would work. I click on the format
button in the find and replace dialog box (after clicking more) and
then select paragraph, but I cant seem to figure it out. I am using
Word XP, Thanks in advance for any help

I assumed he was wanting to put a tab at the end of the line (as he said)
not the beginning. There can be good reasons for doing this. I do it once a
month when I split a list and drag half of it up beside the other half
(using Alt+Drag to column-select) to create a tabbed two-column list to go
in a single-column of four-column text.

Michael R wrote:
Is it possible to use find and replace to find formatting marks? I
have a document that I need to place a tab after each line. each
line is it's own paragraph. rather than manually doing it, I was
wondering if find and replace would work. I click on the format
button in the find and replace dialog box (after clicking more) and
then select paragraph, but I cant seem to figure it out. I am using
Word XP, Thanks in advance for any help

Michael R

Suzanne was almost reading my mind. This was not a formatted document
or letter of some sort.

Actually, the data came from a DII text file used in a Legal program
called Summation. I needed to extract data from the file and in order
for me to do that, I needed a delimiter that notepad would understand.
I cut the text from notepad, pasted into word as NORMAL style, followed
Suzanne's instructions and was able to to place a tab between each line
of text and bring it into Excel. I was using Word as a holding area only.

Thank you both for responding. The DII file in question had something
like 20000 lines in it and was 400 pages long. Word saved the day. It
took about 10 minutes for the process to complete once I clicked replace all

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I assumed he was wanting to put a tab at the end of the line (as he said)
not the beginning. There can be good reasons for doing this. I do it once a
month when I split a list and drag half of it up beside the other half
(using Alt+Drag to column-select) to create a tabbed two-column list to go
in a single-column of four-column text.

Graham Mayor

Michael R wrote:
Suzanne was almost reading my mind.

She does that

Michael R

Graham Mayor wrote:
Michael R wrote:

Suzanne was almost reading my mind.

She does that

She is awesome isnt she Graham??? I only post once in awhile, but I've
pretty much taught myself Word thanks to her posts and links

To clarify: I don't know any more about Word than most of the other regulars
here (I know a lot less about some aspects, such as VBA, than others such as
Graham). But I spend more time here, so there's a greater likelihood that
I'll answer any given post, and I have the benefit of the wealth of
practical information provided by the Word MVPs at http://word.mvps.org and
by MS in the KB and in online Help articles and tutorials. There are some
subjects I won't touch at all because my mind refuses to comprehend or
retain the details of them; in other cases I am able to (apparently
convincingly) parrot what more knowledgeable users have written on the
subject and get away with it!

"Michael R" wrote in message
Graham Mayor wrote:
Michael R wrote:

Suzanne was almost reading my mind.

She does that

She is awesome isnt she Graham??? I only post once in awhile, but I've
pretty much taught myself Word thanks to her posts and links

Michael R

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
To clarify: I don't know any more about Word than most of the other regulars
here (I know a lot less about some aspects, such as VBA, than others such as
Graham). But I spend more time here, so there's a greater likelihood that
I'll answer any given post, and I have the benefit of the wealth of
practical information provided by the Word MVPs at http://word.mvps.org and
by MS in the KB and in online Help articles and tutorials. There are some
subjects I won't touch at all because my mind refuses to comprehend or
retain the details of them; in other cases I am able to (apparently
convincingly) parrot what more knowledgeable users have written on the
subject and get away with it!

Yeah yeah whatever you say. hahaha. Dont be modest. You're a smart
cookie when it comes to Word Suzanne. pat yourself on the back every now
and then