Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Terry Terry is offline

Default Create a list box on a table cell

I have a set of reports to complete which comprises of multiple tables which
all have different content. One of the cells in each table is for "making
comments" most of which are repetitive. So after the first 10 or so I find
repeating myself....

What I want is to able to use a combo box or a list box to select a comment
that I have already made in another report and then possibly edit that
comment slightly (eg., ad the persons given name within the comment).
Sometimes I might want to add two or three repeated comments in the same cell
to make a "sensible" sentence. I also want to be able to add new comments as
well as select previous comments. I think then its likely to be a combo box
in the cell? I have no idea how to do this in word and my VBA experience to
date has been in EXCEL not word.

So I guess what I want to do is when the "comments" cell is selected I want
to be able to add a new comment, choose from existing comments and then edit
the comments so chosen.

At the moment I am making a separte document with all the customised
comments for each person and then cutting and pasting into the table cells.
Very timeconsuming.

What I am asking appears to be a daunting task and maybe its not possible?

Would be grateful for any advice receieved...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Terry Terry is offline

Another option is to use autotext with coded comments using 2 letters and
digits

Eg., sc1 = Is able to perform at a high level unsupervised

"Terry" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

This would be terribly complicated to set up if you had to do it
exactly as you envision -- Word just doesn't have the right tools for
it.

The best way to go about this is to save your comments as AutoText
entries (http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom.../AutoText.htm).
Give each one a name that's meaningful to you. The entries are stored
in a template (Normal.dot or another template of your choice, as
explained in the article). You can insert any one or more entries in
any table cell, and then edit the resulting text as you like.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman