Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michael_Randall Michael_Randall is offline

Default How to automatically format the 1st 4 characters of sentence

Hello,

I have a document that I created using all styles and formatting. I would
like to create a "note" style that will automatically bold the word Note at
the beginning of the sentence when I apply the style to it. Additionally, it
would be great to be able to type a sentence and when I apply the note style,
the word "NOTE" appears in front of the sentence.

Is this possible?
--
Michael Randall
Technical Writer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Only in numbered and bulleted lists. Don't know which version of Word you're
using, but in the AutoCorrect options dialog box, click the AutoFormat as
You Type tab, and under the Automatically as you type options, note the
"Format beginning of list item like the one before it" option. This does
what you want, but only in numbered/bulleted lists.

By clever use of white coloring for the number font and changing the
indents, you can make a list look like normal text. But, there are no
"stability" guarantees.

But, personally, I find using Word's list formatting to be rather fragile,
and not worth the effort.

What I do for Notes... is use an AutoText shortcut. I preformat my note,
including the word Note in bold and any punctuation that follows the word,
with a space (not bold) following the word Note so that when I type there,
it's not bold; then format the note as I want it to appear (for my purposes,
I format using a style that include shading and left/right indentation).
Then, when I want a note, I type the word note and press F3. This can also
be done using an AutoCorrect entry, but if you go that route, I'd use an
abbreviation as the name rather than an actual word that gets used in other
contexts.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Michael_Randall" wrote in
message ...
Hello,

I have a document that I created using all styles and formatting. I would
like to create a "note" style that will automatically bold the word Note
at
the beginning of the sentence when I apply the style to it. Additionally,
it
would be great to be able to type a sentence and when I apply the note
style,
the word "NOTE" appears in front of the sentence.

Is this possible?
--
Michael Randall
Technical Writer
Trend Micro, Nanjing China

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/Text_as_bullet.htm, however this does not appear
to work with Word 2007.

Michael_Randall wrote:
Hello,

I have a document that I created using all styles and formatting. I
would like to create a "note" style that will automatically bold the
word Note at the beginning of the sentence when I apply the style to
it. Additionally, it would be great to be able to type a sentence and
when I apply the note style, the word "NOTE" appears in front of the
sentence.

Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

After reading Graham's comment that "text bullets" don't work in Word 2007,
I can begin to see the reason for your elaborate workaround of "clever use
of white coloring for the number font and changing the indents." In earlier
versions, you can make a "numbered" list with no numbering, just the text. I
use this for Q&A (see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/QandA.htm).

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I've just about given up using Word's built-in bullets and numbering for all
but the simplest needs. The feature is simply too fragile, and it has not
matured over time.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
After reading Graham's comment that "text bullets" don't work in Word
2007,
I can begin to see the reason for your elaborate workaround of "clever use
of white coloring for the number font and changing the indents." In
earlier
versions, you can make a "numbered" list with no numbering, just the text.
use this for Q&A (see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/QandA.htm).

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I don't ever use the "built-in bullets and numbering" if by that you mean
bullets or numbering applied by using the Bullets or Numbering buttons. I
use only bulleted/numbered styles (List Bullet, List Number, etc.), modified
as necessary.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I haven't had that experience, but I do modify the numbering using the
Outline Numbered tab of the Numbering dialog in accordance with Shauna's
principles (always go in through the Level 1 style, etc.).

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Henk57[_51_] Henk57[_51_] is offline

Coming back to Michael's question, I suggest a different approach.

You can use a separate style for the comments. For notes, I use a
Text_for_Notes style, with a different font color, and paragraph
settings that discriminate from the body text, including a box around
it. The Text_for_Notes also is slightly indented (with left and right
indenting) and has surrounding space settings. I also have given it 5%
grey shade. In this way it stands out clearly from the body text, and
if you use it for a single purpose ("notes") I think the distinctive
style settings are a label in its own right, and the word "Note" can be
skipped. In case it must, you can of course type the word "Note" as a
heading in the box, making it bold. Obviously, you can define this
"Text_for_Notes" without a frame, formatting it to your taste.

Alternatively, you can make a table with the appropriate settings and
formatting. By way of example, make two columns and split the first
horizontally. In the left upper cell place a pictogram, eg an
exclamation mark in a triangle, in the left lower cell put "Note". The
right cell can be used to contain your text. Just c/p this empty
"table" to a separate document for future use. Everytime you need it,
c/p in yr text document and type the text in the right cell. FWIW, you
can make variants, like "warning", "idea", or whatever you like, with
different colors, settings, pictos. Also, you may like to line the
first two cell to be positioned in the left margin so they stand out
even more - this can be useful in a user manual for instance.

I hope this makes sense and you can use the concept behind it,
Michael.

Suzanne S. Barnhill;2242561 Wrote:
I haven't had that experience, but I do modify the numbering using the
Outline Numbered tab of the Numbering dialog in accordance with
Shauna's
principles (always go in through the Level 1 style, etc.).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
...-
I don't use the bulleted/numbered styles either... they're far too
fragile
in long documents.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog:
http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
...-
I don't ever use the "built-in bullets and numbering" if by that you
mean
bullets or numbering applied by using the Bullets or Numbering
buttons.--
I--
use only bulleted/numbered styles (List Bullet, List Number, etc.),
modified
as necessary.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the--
newsgroup--
so
all may benefit.

-