Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sambuccus Sambuccus is offline

Default Numbering in styles, restart numbering in Word 2007

Hi, I want to define a simple numbering style that has no right indent and a
hanging indent of 0,75 cm in Office 2007. I have managed to define a style
with the desired look by defining a numbered multilevel list style linked to
a paragraph style. Is there any drawback defining a multilevel list style
when you only want to use the first level? I only want a simple list.

When I use my paragraph style the numbering continues from the previsios list.
I have read lots of warnings in the user groups that you should not use the
out of the box right click choice Restart number with 1. Is that still true
in Word 2007?

Or better, can you define a style that restarts numbering automatically like
when you click the numering button? If not through the user interface - can
you program a style in VBA?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As far as I know, the commands for restarting have the same advantages and
downsides as they used to in Word 2003. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tartFromUI.htm.

If the restarts should occur after a specific paragraph style you could set
*that* style as the top-level in a multilevel list (it doesn't have to be
numbered), and have your actual numbered style as the second-level item. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tfromstyle.htm.

Alternatively, you can use single-level numbering and restart it with
LISTNUM fields. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tByLISTNUM.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sambuccus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sambuccus Sambuccus is offline

Thanks, sad to hear that there's no improvement around numbering in 2007.

I also tried to assign a shortkey to my multilevel numbering style, and
could apply numbering that way (no way to show the style in the style list).
This way I could start new lists with the right look, but then I tested to
use the shortkey in an anready formatted list, numbering restarted unwanted
in the paragraph below...

"Sambuccus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Sambuccus" wrote in message
Thanks, sad to hear that there's no improvement around numbering in 2007.

Numbering might very well be (and probably is) more *stable* in Word 2007,
but, yes, the underlying mechanism (the list template) is the same.

I also tried to assign a shortkey to my multilevel numbering style, and
could apply numbering that way (no way to show the style in the style
list).

Are you saying that you are using *list styles*? These are not visible in
the Styles pane. However, you can see them if you click the Multilevel List
button on the Home tab of the ribbon; they are listed under the "List
styles" heading.

This way I could start new lists with the right look, but then I tested to
use the shortkey in an anready formatted list, numbering restarted
unwanted
in the paragraph below...

Assuming that the numbering levels are linked to paragraph styles, Ctrl+Q
should fix this.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sambuccus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sambuccus Sambuccus is offline

Thanks again, No this time I did not link the multi level style to a
paragraph style. The multi level style itseft can not be shown in the style
list but I assigned a short cut key and could apply it that way. And it
worked just fine, I could start new lists, they started by one and behaved
well. But even though a list has the multi level style applied on all
paragraphs, if I reapply the multi level style by pressing the short cut key,
the numbering changes in the list, the paragraph below restarts numbering.

Today I have promised to deliver a couple of document templates to a
company. They want their new profile in the templates and they want them to
be easy to use and robust. I do not think that any of the alternatives for
lists with listnum fields or restarting numbering by vba or teaching people
to only use right click to restart is any good. And people do not expect
lists to continue through out the document in the first place.

Most importent for the company is to get rid of the indenting of lists.
After reading about all problems I think the best thing is to educate them to
first press the numbering button and then the decrease indent button. In that
way they get the lists not indented and behaving as they expect. I know that
in fact this way creates a lot of hidden list styles but anyway it is the way
Word is designed to work. (In Sweden where I live the space 0,63 between a
number and the text is highly unwanted, we want increments of 0,25 cm that
correspondenses with the ruler increments so I have to argue to change other
bulleted list styles back from 0,75 to 0,63.)

"Sambuccus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, list numbering in Word is not the easiest thing to master... The
fact that Word 2007, unlike previous versions, lets you "see" the lists in
use (when clicking the Multilevel List button) make things a little easier,
but restarting is still complex, as you've seen from the links mentioned in
an earlier message.

If what you need is single-level lists that should be restarted, the add-in
available on MVP Greg Maxey's web site might actually be more useful:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/SEQ_Field_Numbering.htm.

For what it's worth, my native language is Swedish too.

--
Hälsningar
Stefan Blom

"Sambuccus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sambuccus Sambuccus is offline

Thanks again, Well, since my last post I showed my collegue the problem I had
just described - and on his machine the solution worked! No undesired
restarting like a described if we reapplied the list style on paragraphs
previously formatted with the list style. The difference between his
environment and mine is that his is English and mine is Swedish. So there is
another problem found... But I think the idea is interesting even though I
want my users to be able to select all styles from the styles list. If I
select to show All styles and then select the list style all options to show
in the style list are dimmed. The only way to apply a list style is a short
cut or select it in the multilevel list as you mention. I hope that you
understand the solution - you can assign a short cut to a list style and
apply it on paragraphs and get the same behavior as from the numbered list
button (in an English Word 2007). It restarts automatically.

I have looked at the add-in you mention before and I think it is a too big
overload for people to just type a numbered list. In my solution I have made
a ribbon with nice features such as a checkbox for numbered headings so that
the user can choose numbered headings or not in a document in an easy way. I
could never dream that I should not be able to fix a style with for a simple
numbered list, but now I give up.

Great of you to answer and give comments, it is so frustrating so spend
hours and hours testing and reading articles and it means a lot to get
response from you. Nice to hear that you are Swedish, I guessed it from your
name.

"Sambuccus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Sambuccus" wrote in message
[...]

You are definitely right: the behavior is different depending on if you pick
a list template via Multilevel List button or apply the style directly (the
latter is what a keyboard shortcut does). Indeed, recording a macro doing
each of these tasks confirms that there is in fact a difference. sigh

I have looked at the add-in you mention before and I think it is a too big
overload for people to just type a numbered list. In my solution I have
made
a ribbon with nice features such as a checkbox for numbered headings so
that
the user can choose numbered headings or not in a document in an easy way.
could never dream that I should not be able to fix a style with for a
simple
numbered list, but now I give up.

Not sure when you looked at the add-in, but note that it doesn't involve any
manual work for users; there is an interface with (simple) dialog boxes for
restarts and so on.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sambuccus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sambuccus Sambuccus is offline

Hello, I feel unsure about how it will work to cut and paste parts of list
with SEQ fields into other lists in the same document and lists in other
documents formatted the ordinary way, that needs to be tested thoroughly.
Plus I do no like to involve a new interface just for one style. Anyway I
have sent the templates to my customer for test. Thanks for your help, I wish
you a lovely weekend!

"Sambuccus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Each SEQ field has an identifier (or a name) that determines which list it
belongs to. For example:

{ SEQ test }
{ SEQ test }

would display
1
2

(assuming these are the only fields with the "test" identifier in a given
document).

If the fields are copied into a different document which already has SEQ
fields with the same identifier, you would see a renumbering of items, after
updating the fields.

Within a SEQuence, you can restart the numbering by using the \r switch
(this is used in the add-in previously mentioned).

It is probably a good idea to make some tests (on copies of the document)
before using the fields, to find out how they work.

Lycka till!
önskar

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

P.S. See also this (from Word Help):

******
Field codes: Seq (Sequence) field

{ SEQ Identifier [Bookmark ] [Switches ] }

Sequentially numbers chapters, tables, figures, and other items in a
document. If you add, delete, or move an item and its respective SEQ field,
you can update remaining SEQ fields in the document to reflect the new
sequence.

The LISTNUM field also produces automatic numbering and may be a better
alternative if you are creating a complex numbered list.

The easiest way to insert SEQ fields to number tables, figures, and other
items in a document is to use the Caption command (Insert menu, Reference
submenu).

Note A SEQ field in a header, footer (header and footer: A header, which
can consist of text or graphics, appears at the top of every page in a
section. A footer appears at the bottom of every page. Headers and footers
often contain page numbers, chapter titles, dates, and author names.),
annotation, or footnote doesn't affect the sequence numbering that results
from SEQ fields in the document text.

Instructions

Identifier
The name you assign to a series of items to number. The name must start with
a letter and is limited to 40 characters (letters, numbers, and underscores).
For example, the name for a series of tables might be "tables."

Bookmark
Include a bookmark (bookmark: A location or selection of text in a file that
you name for reference purposes. Bookmarks identify a location within your
file that you can later refer or link to.) name to refer to an item elsewhere
in the document. For example, to cross-reference an illustration, mark the
SEQ field numbering for that illustration with the bookmark "Pic2," and then
insert a cross-reference to it using { SEQ illust Pic2 }.

Switches

\c
Repeats the closest preceding sequence number. This is useful for inserting
chapter numbers in headers or footers.

\h
Hides the field result (field results: Text or graphics inserted in a
document when Microsoft Word carries out a field's instructions. When you
print the document or hide field codes, the field results replace the field
codes.). Use it to refer to a SEQ field in a cross-reference without printing
the number. For example, you might want to refer to a numbered chapter but
not print the chapter number. The \h switch doesn't hide the field result if
a Format (\*) switch is also present.

\n
Inserts the next sequence number for the specified items. This is the default.

\r n
Resets the sequence number to the specified number n. For example, { SEQ
figure \r 3 } starts figure numbering at 3.

\s
Resets the sequence number at the heading level following the "s". For
example, { SEQ figure \s 2 } starts numbering at the Heading 2 style (style:
A combination of formatting characteristics, such as font, font size, and
indentation, that you name and store as a set. When you apply a style, all of
the formatting instructions in that style are applied at one time.).

Examples

If you didn't use styles (style: A combination of formatting
characteristics, such as font, font size, and indentation, that you name and
store as a set. When you apply a style, all of the formatting instructions in
that style are applied at one time.) to format document headings, you can
number chapter headings by inserting a SEQ field at the beginning of each
chapter:
The text and field "Chapter { SEQ chapter }" produces a result such as
"Chapter 3."
To print the chapter number in a header or footer, use the \c switch:
Page { SEQ chapter \c } - { PAGE } produces a result such as "Page 3 - 1".
******