Stephan Bird

Default Data transfer problem in mail merge?

(Originally posted in m.p.w.general, on the 13th Feb, no response as yet so
trying here as well, apologies for the multi-post)

We have a database made from an Excel file with columns in there for Name,
several lines for address and Post Code (aka zip code), and other business
related stuff. We can create form letters fine in this using all the
required fields for our customers address. However, when we come to copy
over this data for envelope printing, Word never seems to pick up the post
code, so we have to type it in manually. (We don't have Access, nor do we
really need it for this job)

I've made sure we've selected all the text, including any returns / line
feeds after the Post Code, and checked the font size (just in case it's too
big to show on the little window), but it's fine - and if there were more
lines surely the scrollbar would come into play? Not quite sure what's
changed in terms of what we're doing, but it worked perfectly well in Win 98
and Offices 97 and 2000, now running XP Pro SP2 (also bad in SP1) and Office
2003. Printing onto 110 x 220 mm envelopes, with no window, if that makes
any odds (shouldn't do IMO, but...).

Any thoughts - a known problem..?

Stephan
--
Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC

Graham Mayor

Check the frame associated with the envelope address paragraph style is
large enough to contain the post code
http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm

Stephan Bird wrote:
[...]

Stephan Bird

In ,
Graham Mayor wrote:
Check the frame associated with the envelope address paragraph style
is large enough to contain the post code
http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm

That's just it, there is *no* frame - we intend to print straight from the
dialogue in URL:http://www.gmayor.com/MoreImages/ENV-001.gif, and it's
there the
postcode for some reason is not being picked up.

Do we really need to merge to a form letter for the envelopes too?

Thanks for the advice,

Stephan
--
Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC
EMOVE

Graham Mayor

The dialog box still uses the envelope address paragraph style and that
style has a frame associated with it. It is that frame you need to alter as
shown in the posted web page.

However reading between the lines here, I think there's another issue
involved. If you are using the dialog to pick up the address from the
letter, then select the address in the letter before running the envelope
tool - there's a limit to the number of lines it will pick up automatically.

If neither of these are the problem, then please explain exactly what you
are doing in greater detail.

An envelope merge would appear to be the logical way forward - you will find
a set of sample envelope templates to download from my web site, which could
be used as a basis for a merge.

Stephan Bird wrote:
In ,
Graham Mayor wrote:
Check the frame associated with the envelope address paragraph style
is large enough to contain the post code
http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm

That's just it, there is *no* frame - we intend to print straight
from the dialogue in
URL:http://www.gmayor.com/MoreImages/ENV-001.gif, and it's there the
postcode for some reason is not being picked up.

Do we really need to merge to a form letter for the envelopes too?

Thanks for the advice,

Stephan

Stephan Bird

In ,
Graham Mayor wrote:
The dialog box still uses the envelope address paragraph style and
that style has a frame associated with it. It is that frame you need
to alter as shown in the posted web page.

However reading between the lines here, I think there's another issue
involved. If you are using the dialog to pick up the address from the
letter, then select the address in the letter before running the
envelope tool - there's a limit to the number of lines it will pick
up automatically.

Is there a way to alter this, or is it hard-coded? Seems a bit of a pain in
the proverbials as it worked fine in earlier versions of Word and Office.

If neither of these are the problem, then please explain exactly what
you are doing in greater detail.

An envelope merge would appear to be the logical way forward - you
will find a set of sample envelope templates to download from my web
site, which could be used as a basis for a merge.

It may be that we have to go this way, in which case we'll certainly have a
further read through your site in case there's any other hints and tips
we've missed .

Thanks once more for your help

Stephan