PeterB

Default how to use the If function in tables in Word

In word I made a table with 3 cells (A1, B1 and C1), A1 and B1 are filled
with a number. In C1, the highest value of A1 and B1 has to be denoted. I use
the expression: { =IF(A1 = B1 A1 B1) \# "0"} unfortunately this expression
won't work. I continuously get syntax errors. Why? What am I doing wrong? Can
anyone help me? The Word help assistance is not very helpful

Greg Maxey

Peter,

You are missing commas between the expression and the two alternative
results

{ =if(a1=b1,a1,b1) }
--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

PeterB wrote:
In word I made a table with 3 cells (A1, B1 and C1), A1 and B1 are
filled with a number. In C1, the highest value of A1 and B1 has to be
denoted. I use the expression: { =IF(A1 = B1 A1 B1) \# "0"}
unfortunately this expression won't work. I continuously get syntax
errors. Why? What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me? The Word help
assistance is not very helpful

Doug Robbins

Use {= { IF A1 = B1 A1 B1 } \# "0" }

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"PeterB" wrote in message

In word I made a table with 3 cells (A1, B1 and C1), A1 and B1 are filled
with a number. In C1, the highest value of A1 and B1 has to be denoted. I
use
the expression: { =IF(A1 = B1 A1 B1) \# "0"} unfortunately this
expression
won't work. I continuously get syntax errors. Why? What am I doing wrong?
Can
anyone help me? The Word help assistance is not very helpful

PeterB

In the mean time, I found the answer of my own question.
The Microsoft help was incorrect. in general, the IF statement works as
follows:
{ IF(Expression1 Operator Expression2; TrueText; FalseText) }

Good luck to all!

Greetings,
Peter

"PeterB" wrote:

In word I made a table with 3 cells (A1, B1 and C1), A1 and B1 are filled
with a number. In C1, the highest value of A1 and B1 has to be denoted. I use
the expression: { =IF(A1 = B1 A1 B1) \# "0"} unfortunately this expression
won't work. I continuously get syntax errors. Why? What am I doing wrong? Can
anyone help me? The Word help assistance is not very helpful

Greg

I don't know what your system settings are, but with the "=" sign in
front of the IF I don't see how your expression works at all. Here the
separators ";" return a syntax error. This works: { =if(a1=b1,a1,b1)
}