vepxistqaosani

Default Word tables should permit header rows to repeat only on every oth.

In books, it is traditional for long tables in landscape mode to repeat their
headers only on the verso (left-hand) pages and not on the right-hand (recto)
pages. Word (all versions) only allows headers to repeat on every page -- so,
if one is laying out book pages, one has to physically cut out (or white out)
the undesired header rows, leaving the recto pages noticeably shorter than
the verso.

vepxistqaosani

Sure -- or edit the PostScript/PDF files to delete the heads one doesn't
want. But when one has up to a dozen tables, each up to 150 pp long, either
method will add approximately 50 pages to the total length of the book. Not
to mention the labor cost of all than manual labor.

I'd like to get those pages back -- dead trees cost money.

One could argue, of course, that Word is not a page-layout tool -- alas,
though, many people will continue to use it for that purpose no matter how
awful it is.

Personally, I'd rather hand-code PostScript than use Word. But that's a
minority opinion.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The alternative is to add the headings manually on the appropriate pages
(after editing is complete).

"vepxistqaosani" wrote in message
In books, it is traditional for long tables in landscape mode to repeat

their
headers only on the verso (left-hand) pages and not on the right-hand

(recto)
pages. Word (all versions) only allows headers to repeat on every page --

so,
if one is laying out book pages, one has to physically cut out (or white

out)
the undesired header rows, leaving the recto pages noticeably shorter than
the verso.

Jezebel

You're absolutely right. If you abuse the hell out of the product, you'll
end up with lousy result. But what seriously bizarre justification! --
you're going to use Word in ways for which you acknowledge it is not
designed on the grounds that "many people will continue to use for that
purpose". This is Tom Cruise logic at its most absurd. And I'll bet you're
not as pretty as he is.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The alternative is to add the headings manually on the appropriate pages
(after editing is complete).

so
all may benefit.

"vepxistqaosani" wrote in
message
In books, it is traditional for long tables in landscape mode to repeat

their
headers only on the verso (left-hand) pages and not on the right-hand

(recto)
pages. Word (all versions) only allows headers to repeat on every
page --

so,
if one is laying out book pages, one has to physically cut out (or
white

out)
the undesired header rows, leaving the recto pages noticeably shorter
than
the verso.

I don't see how adding the headings manually would add 50 pages to the book
(unless you're comparing it to having no repeating headings at all). I can
see that leaving the headings on pages that don't need them would add pages,
however.

There is, however, another method you could use. Instead of using a
repeating heading row, put your headings in the page header of even pages
only (using the "Different odd and even" header option). There will be a
default empty paragraph below the heading table in the header, but if you
format it as Hidden, it will disappear, and if you space the header
precisely, it will sit on top of the table in the body of the text. You'll
need to begin a new section for each table, but if the tables are 150 pp.
long, that should not be an obstacle.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The alternative is to add the headings manually on the appropriate pages
(after editing is complete).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"vepxistqaosani" wrote in

message
In books, it is traditional for long tables in landscape mode to

repeat
their
headers only on the verso (left-hand) pages and not on the right-hand

(recto)
pages. Word (all versions) only allows headers to repeat on every

page --
so,
if one is laying out book pages, one has to physically cut out (or

white
out)
the undesired header rows, leaving the recto pages noticeably shorter

than
the verso.

How can I divide a page into three sections? Bonnie Microsoft Word Help 3 May 8th 23 02:47 AM
2002 Word Table Rows Sarah LeV Tables 3 January 28th 05 02:31 AM
Excel worksheet in Word linked text boxes Eduardo Oliveira Page Layout 0 January 5th 05 11:23 PM
Excel Link: Adding rows in Excel does not add cells in Word Jameslp Tables 2 December 9th 04 07:18 PM