Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
pmv464 pmv464 is offline

Default Mail Merge with Conditional Fields

I am merging a excel doc with word 2003. One of my columns has items giving
a unique(1 of about 10 different) scenarios. In my word document, I have a
check box for each of the different scenarios. I would like Word to be able
to identify and check the box next to one of the scenerios. Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi pmv,

You can do this with a series of IF tests on your column of Scenario data. If, for example, the checked scenario has a value of 1 to
10, then you could use:
{IF{MERGFIELD Scenario}= 1 Checked Unchecked}
{IF{MERGFIELD Scenario}= 2 Checked Unchecked}
{IF{MERGFIELD Scenario}= 9 Checked Unchecked}
{IF{MERGFIELD Scenario}= 10 Checked Unchecked}
where 'Checked' and 'Unchecked' are checked and unchecked checkboxes.

To create such one such field, position the cursor where you want the output to go and press Ctrl-F9 twice to create a nested pair
of field braces (ie '{{}}'), then fill the field coding as shown, replacing 'Scenario' with your scenario data name and the
'Checked' and 'Unchecked' with checked and unchecked checkboxes, respectively.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"pmv464" wrote in message ...
I am merging a excel doc with word 2003. One of my columns has items giving
a unique(1 of about 10 different) scenarios. In my word document, I have a
check box for each of the different scenarios. I would like Word to be able
to identify and check the box next to one of the scenerios. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
pmv464 pmv464 is offline

Thanks so much for the info. I have been working with these if tests. I
have another question. How is word able to identify these scenarios as have
the values of 1,2,3...10?

"pmv464" wrote in message ...
I am merging a excel doc with word 2003. One of my columns has items giving
a unique(1 of about 10 different) scenarios. In my word document, I have a
check box for each of the different scenarios. I would like Word to be able
to identify and check the box next to one of the scenerios. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi pmv,

Q. How is word able to identify these scenarios as have the values of 1,2,3...10?
A. By the numbers in the IF tests. As indicated in my previous reply, I'm assuming your data source has a Scenario field containing
a single number from 1 to 10 to indicate which scenario the checked box relates to.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]