Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lisa B. Lisa B. is offline

Default Mail Merge with pdf as second page

I would like to do a mail merge inserting different PDFs as page two
of the word document for a fax blast. However, I need to send a
specific page to a specific fax number. I was thinking of setting up
an excel document with [name, fax number, document] columns as the
data source, and thenmerge with my word document. My concern is that
each recipient get the correct (individualized) page, along with the
cover sheet with the correct name and fax number.

Is is possible to embed a file (pdf or word) into an excel cell? That
way, i could use an excel file to set up the merge (Name1, FaxNumber1,
Document 1; Name2, Fax Number,2 Document 2; Name3, FaxNumber3,
Document3) and then merge with my cover sheet. The individual PDF's
would be the last page of the word document.

Anyone else have another way to do this?

Feel free to respond offline if you prefer.

Lisa Berger
New York City

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See the article "Mail Merge to E-mail with Attachments" at

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Lisa B." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could probably conditionally insert a PDF object in your merge document.
Insert a link to the object and wrap it in the field construction. You would
end up with something like:

{ IF{ Mergefield Fieldname } = "Condition" "{ LINK AcroExch.Document.7
"D:\\Path\\Filename1.pdf" "" \a \f 0 \p }" "{ LINK AcroExch.Document.7
"D:\\Path\\Filename2.pdf" "" \a \f 0 \p }" }

This would insert filename1.pdf when the condition is met and filename2.pdf
when not.

Lisa B. wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lisa B. Lisa B. is offline

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure I adequately (or correctly)
explained what I'm trying to do. We are a nonprofit that needs to
send out a questionaire (word document) to about 400 - 500 people to
update our database, and include their page to update along with the
letter/questionaire. We plan to use a fax blast service, to avoid
having to hand fax each questionaire as we did last year.

I need to supply the fax service with the word document (letter/
questionaire) and the source file (excel or access) so they can fax to
correct source. The fax service will "do" the actual merge.

My thought was to add a column to the excel document, and insert the
pdf file: (columns -- Name/Fax Number/PDF) so it is just another
field on the mail merge document. That way the output merge would
contain the document with the correct pdf as page two (or whatever).

Not sure your idea would work, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Any other ideas? I asked the same question in the excel group.

Best,
Lisa

You could probably conditionally insert a PDF object in your merge document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lisa B. Lisa B. is offline

Thanks, Doug, but I won't be doing the merge myself. The fax blast
service will do the merge, from my source document and my data source
document.

However, the article you suggested will work for other tasks. So I
thank you.

Best,
Lisa

On Mar 26, 7:22*pm, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
See the article "Mail Merge to E-mail with Attachments" at

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could insert the extra column with the filename of the PDF and provided
the PDF contains only one page - objects cannot span pages in Word - then
the aforesaid method should work. You would just need to additionally supply
all the PDFs and change the command as follows

{ LINK AcroExch.Document.7 "{Mergefield PDFName}" "" \a \f 0 \p }

The PDFs would need to be in the same folder as the merge document or you
would need to add the path (that they will occupy when merged) also.

{ LINK AcroExch.Document.7 "C:\\Path\\{Mergefield PDFName}" "" \a \f 0 \p }

You can test this by merging to a new document then updating the link fields
in that document (CTRL+A then F9). If it works for you could probably merge
to fax yourself.

It works here in principle.

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org