Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
seno seno is offline

Default Snytax for CompareTo Field IF THEN ELSE

Hi my first post woohoo,

I use mail merge in the work I do but wish to know what is syntax I use
for IF ELSE THEN statment. Hope fully it reads clearly.

Excel sheet
Field Trust_name
1 Plantation
2 The Cabbage

In the form letter, [ ] is where i want the sentence to change
depending on the condition of the Trust_name. Example listed below.

"...as trustee for [ ] Trust_name Trust,..."

The statement I inserted [ ] in Word is:
IF FieldName:Trust_name Comparison:EqualTo CompareTo:"The..."
THEN "blank"
ELSE "the"

Result I want is:
1 Plantation "...as trustee for the Plantation
Trust,..."
2 The Cabbage "...as trustee for The Cabbage Trust,..."

What I want to know is what is the correct syntax to use for CompareTo
box:
"The-SPACE-Any number of character there after" for the compare
CompareTo box?

I guessed and tried "The*" doesn't work.

It cant be "The-Any number of character there after" as there words
begin with The such as Thespian and Theodore for example.

I hope theres an answer.
I pray in the mean time.

Cheers!
Seno

--
seno
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If I understand you correctly, what you require is

"...as trustee for { IF { MERGEFIELD Trust_name } "The *" "The "}{
MERGEFIELD Trust_name }Trust,..."

You can type this from the keyboard using CTRL+F9 for the field bracket
pairs
The wildcard does work if used as shown. Note the spaces.