Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
HeatherS HeatherS is offline

Default Mailmerging labels and supressing blank fields using Word 2003

In earlier versions of word when merging data fields into labels you could
click "Dont print blank lines when data fields are empty" in Query Options.
I cannot find this in Word 2003. Can anyone help please
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The option is switched on by default, but if you need to change it, you
will probably need to use the old Mail Merge Helper, for example,
a. enable the Mail Merge Toolbar using View-Toolbars
b. go to Tools-Customize-Commands, select All Commands in the list
of categories on the left, look for MailMergeHelper in the alphabetic
list on the right, and drag it to thee mail merge toolbar.
c. close the Tools-Customize dialog box.
d. Ensure your mail merge main document is open
e. Click on your new Mail Merge Helper dialog button
f. In Option 3 of the dialog, click the Merge... button (not the Query
Options button) and set the option in "When merging records"

In other words, the option is not actually in the "Query Options" dialog
(e.g. if you drag MailMergeQueryOptions to your toolbar in step (b), it
will not do what you want).

If you are familiar with using your own macros, you could also consider
Sub MySuppressBlankLines()
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.SuppressBlankLines = True
End Sub
and
Sub MyUnSuppressBlankLines()
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.SuppressBlankLines = False
End Sub

However,
a. there have also been behaviour changes in the way blank line
suppression works - specifically when fields are nested, e.g. inside an
IF field or an INCLUDETEXT field, and the behaviour ay change depending
on whether you are previewing, printing, or merging to a new document.
b. if you are using the new ADDRESSBLOCK field, you may need to use
the individual fields instead.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 30/11/2009 03:08, HeatherS wrote:
In earlier versions of word when merging data fields into labels you could
click "Dont print blank lines when data fields are empty" in Query Options.
I cannot find this in Word 2003. Can anyone help please

mailing labels blank fields Terry the Terror Mailmerge 1 September 11th 08 08:45 PM
Can protected ranges prohibit me from mailmerging labels? materialhandlingmarketer Microsoft Word Help 0 April 22nd 08 09:10 PM
Mailmerging Labels CVS Mailmerge 1 December 10th 07 03:19 PM
How do I remove blank lines in mail merge labels in Word 2003 Islandtop Mailmerge 2 December 7th 07 07:24 PM
Word 2003 how do I hide text in mailmerge labels w blank record? Scott Dever Mailmerge 1 April 22nd 06 10:14 AM