Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Miranda Miranda is offline

Default Losing changes to IF statements

We have a mailmerge template with multiple IF to handle our 4 possible
scenarios based on the datafile. Our users were accustomed to editing the
template in Word 2000 to replace the standard text prior to merging to the
new document, when their edits would be replicated to the letters for each
client.

We have recently switched to Word 2007. We find that where users change the
text of an IF statement, it is only replicated to the merged letters if they
have used Alt-F9 to reveal the field codes prior to editing the text.
Previously, they were able to edit the text without revealing the field
codes, which scare the less technically-minded users.

We are changing the templates to use ASK fields where we can, but we cannot
always predict the changes that users need to make e.g. to insert information
about special offers.

Is there any way of preserving and replicating the changes to the IF
statement text that users want to make?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Miranda,

The only way toedit a field code in Word is to expose the field code via Alt-F9 or by selecting the field and pressing Shift-F9.
Alt-F9 is an application-level setting and toggles the display for all field codes in all documents. Shift-F9 toggles only the
selected field code. Pressing F9 updates the fields, but only the display of the field codes exposed via Shift-F9 will be affected.

--
Cheers
macropod

If statements dleo Mailmerge 5 October 28th 08 04:53 PM
Automation using IF statements JKeef Microsoft Word Help 5 October 2nd 07 11:47 PM
If then statements LSivak Mailmerge 1 November 9th 06 01:17 AM
IF Fields With AND Statements Brendan Vassallo Microsoft Word Help 4 March 11th 05 03:47 AM
financial statements Chris Microsoft Word Help 2 December 1st 04 04:08 AM