Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Colette Colette is offline

Default Directory in Mail Merge Word 2003

I am developing a telephone directory for a 1200 member association. I have
about 15 fields that I am merging from an excel file i.e. First Name, Last
Name, Mailing Address, City, State, Zip etc... Because some members do not
want any information published some of the members will have more information
than the other. I merged the data and then put it into four columns, however
I noticed that the names did not line up on the top of the page, in other
words one members name is at the end of one column and their address is at
the start of the next column. Is there a way to line it all up or will I
have to go into each column and manually enter spaces so it lines up. I hope
you understand the question. I'm not sure if there is a way since all
records are not equal in size in the directory.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
magicdds magicdds is offline

Try putting an ADVANCE field (Insert, Field, Advance, check off HORIZONTAL,
type in how far over you want the column) before each MergeField. That will
move the data over to the column that you specified before printing the data.

Hope this helps.
Mark

"Colette" wrote:

I am developing a telephone directory for a 1200 member association. I have
about 15 fields that I am merging from an excel file i.e. First Name, Last
Name, Mailing Address, City, State, Zip etc... Because some members do not
want any information published some of the members will have more information
than the other. I merged the data and then put it into four columns, however
I noticed that the names did not line up on the top of the page, in other
words one members name is at the end of one column and their address is at
the start of the next column. Is there a way to line it all up or will I
have to go into each column and manually enter spaces so it lines up. I hope
you understand the question. I'm not sure if there is a way since all
records are not equal in size in the directory.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Use a catalog, or in Word XP and later it is called Directory type mail
merge main document with a one row one cell table in first column and insert
the mergefields inside that cell. Then set the properties of the cell so
that it will not break across the page. Execute the merge to a new document
and you will have what you want.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.