Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cordova cordova is offline

Default Table and Figure Numbering

I know there is a way but I can't remember for the life of me how to
accomplish this.
I am trying to number figures and tables according to the section they fall
under, whether its a Heading 1 or a Heading 4 which are all set to outline
numbering. The only way I can think to do this is create a caption for each
level but I am sure there is another way. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Example:
1.2.4 Heading
Table 1.2.4-1 Table Heading
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Caption dialog, click the Numbering... button and choose "Include
chapter number."

http://word.mvps.org

"cordova" wrote in message
I know there is a way but I can't remember for the life of me how to
accomplish this.
I am trying to number figures and tables according to the section they
fall
under, whether its a Heading 1 or a Heading 4 which are all set to outline
numbering. The only way I can think to do this is create a caption for
each
level but I am sure there is another way. Any suggestions? Thanks in
advance.

Example:
1.2.4 Heading
Table 1.2.4-1 Table Heading

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cordova cordova is offline

This only includes Heading 1 numbering. I need the numbering to follow
multiple levels. For instance:

1.0 Heading
Table 1-1
1.1 Heading
Table 1.1-1
1.1.1 Heading
Table 1.1.1-1

"cordova" wrote in message
I know there is a way but I can't remember for the life of me how to
accomplish this.
I am trying to number figures and tables according to the section they
fall
under, whether its a Heading 1 or a Heading 4 which are all set to outline
numbering. The only way I can think to do this is create a caption for
each
level but I am sure there is another way. Any suggestions? Thanks in
advance.

Example:
1.2.4 Heading
Table 1.2.4-1 Table Heading

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you base the numbering on the lowest level, you'll get full context, but
I would strongly advise against this. It is only confusing to use this sort
of breakdown. Assuming you will restart numbering only at the chapter level,
there's no real point in including other levels, and if you're restarting at
Heading 3 level, then you either have way too many figures or too much
granularity.

http://word.mvps.org