Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura[_4_] Laura[_4_] is offline

Default waiting for microsoft access to accept dde commands

I hope someone can help me soon as I'm very frustrated. I have Office 2000
Professional and Windows XP SP3. I recently reinstalled everything on my
computer after doing a system restore and for some reason which I cannot
work out, I cannot do a Mail Merge using a Table in Access (or even a
Spreadsheet in Excel) with Word.

I have my Word document open and I click on Tools, Mail Merge, Active
Window. When I click on Get Data and locate my Access table it opens the
Access table and then it hangs and eventually I have to quit Word all
together. I see this message on the status bar of Word -

waiting for microsoft access to accept dde commands

But nothing happens. I'm at my wits end. I have uninstalled Office and
re-installed it.. still nothing. What is the problem? Hope someone can help
soon - I have a huge mailmerge to do tomorrow.

Thanks
Laura

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

From the Tools menu in Access, select Options and then go to the advanced
tab and make sure that the Ignore DDE requests box is unchecked.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura[_4_] Laura[_4_] is offline

Hi Doug,

Boy do I need you right now.. I don't know what else to do. I have a laptop
next to me with a similar configuration and it works, but not on my PC.
i.e., same operating system and same version of Office.

The Option "Ignore DDE requests" is and was unchecked on both machines.
The Option "Enable DDE refresh" IS checked.

What else can it be? I need to do this mailmerge on the PC, if possible.
Could it be an XP issue?

Laura

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
From the Tools menu in Access, select Options and then go to the advanced

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

In Word, try selecting Options from the Tools menu and then go to the
General tab and check the box against the item "Confirm conversions at open"
if there is such an item in Word 2000 (I do not remember if there is or
not). After doing that, when you attach the data source to the mail merge
main document, try one of the other methods of connection that are
displayed.

--

"Laura" wrote in message
Hi Doug,

Boy do I need you right now.. I don't know what else to do. I have a
laptop next to me with a similar configuration and it works, but not on my
PC. i.e., same operating system and same version of Office.

The Option "Ignore DDE requests" is and was unchecked on both machines.
The Option "Enable DDE refresh" IS checked.

What else can it be? I need to do this mailmerge on the PC, if possible.
Could it be an XP issue?

Laura

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
From the Tools menu in Access, select Options and then go to the advanced

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura[_4_] Laura[_4_] is offline

Oh Doug.. sadly, no help. I checked the "Confirm conversions at open" (it
was there as you said), but still no joy. It says on the status line that
it's opening Access, but then Word freezes and is "not responding". It gets
as far as the Merge Helper Get Data.. I click it, find the database and then
nothing.

I wonder if it's XP SP3. I wonder if it's Word as it won't pick up data from
Excel either. In the end I Saved my query as Microsoft Word Text and then
did the Merge/Get Data with the text file as my source, but this is not a
good solution as the data has to be exported each time. I wonder what else I
can try. As I said at the start, I recently did a system restore as my
computer had slowed down so much, just reinstalled and updated everything
that I had on there before. This is the first time I have tried a Mail Merge
since doing that.

Any other suggestions welcome and thanks for your help.

"Laura" wrote in message
Hi Doug,

Boy do I need you right now.. I don't know what else to do. I have a
laptop next to me with a similar configuration and it works, but not on
my PC. i.e., same operating system and same version of Office.

The Option "Ignore DDE requests" is and was unchecked on both machines.
The Option "Enable DDE refresh" IS checked.

What else can it be? I need to do this mailmerge on the PC, if possible.
Could it be an XP issue?

Laura

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
wrote in message ...
From the Tools menu in Access, select Options and then go to the
advanced tab and make sure that the Ignore DDE requests box is
unchecked.

--

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If any dialog box would open when you open access or your database, it
will open when Word starts Access via DDE. Sometimes (often) that dialog
box is displayed behind Word so you cannot see it. Nothing appears to be
happening.

Alt-tab to see if there is such a dialog box.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Laura wrote:
Hi Doug,

Boy do I need you right now.. I don't know what else to do. I have a laptop
next to me with a similar configuration and it works, but not on my PC.
i.e., same operating system and same version of Office.

The Option "Ignore DDE requests" is and was unchecked on both machines.
The Option "Enable DDE refresh" IS checked.

What else can it be? I need to do this mailmerge on the PC, if possible.
Could it be an XP issue?

Laura

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
From the Tools menu in Access, select Options and then go to the advanced

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura[_4_] Laura[_4_] is offline

Hi Peter,

No dialogue box opens behind the window - as soon as I hit "Get Data"
WinWord freezes "not responding".

I've read pages of posts on the internet, lots of people get this message,
but I haven't yet seen a solution to it. Some people have got it with an
already existing merge document - for some reason the merge process fails
and they have been advised to rename the Data file - then when Word tries to
merge, it seeks the Data file, can't find it, asks for the name and location
and then the new data file is selected and the merge then goes ahead.
Unfortunately I can't even get that far.

I did wonder - When I restored my computer in early Jan, my HP Recovery
disks installed a different version of Word - I'm not even sure which
exactly, but I uninstalled it as I wanted Office Professional - could I have
inadvertently deleted some files? I can't remember if I uninstalled before
or after I installed Office Professional.

Thanks for your help.

Laura

Laura wrote:
Hi Doug,

Boy do I need you right now.. I don't know what else to do. I have a
laptop next to me with a similar configuration and it works, but not on
my PC. i.e., same operating system and same version of Office.

The Option "Ignore DDE requests" is and was unchecked on both machines.
The Option "Enable DDE refresh" IS checked.

What else can it be? I need to do this mailmerge on the PC, if possible.
Could it be an XP issue?

Laura

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
From the Tools menu in Access, select Options and then go to the

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Worth a try I suppose :-)

I don't think anyone here knows what the cause is either, so we can only
really suggest things to consider/check and/or possible workarounds.

For your immediate needs, it's either
a. get DDE to work or
b. get ODBC to work or
c. export the data to a format that you can connect to

Since it's sounds like your need is immediate, I'd suggest you consider
using Access to do (c), and connect Word to a different data source.

For (b), going back to Doug's suggestion of using "Confirm conversion at
open", did you see an ODBC option listed? If so, did you try that? If
not, I think in Office 2000 at least some of the ODBC stuff was still
optional, but you could you modify/repair in Office Setup and add the
stuff. Unfortunately, ODBC cannot do everything DDE can do so that may
not be enough either.

For (a),
1. I guess you have already tried starting with Access and your
database open before you try to connect, /and/ Access open but the
database closed, /and/ neither open.
2. It may be worth checking Task manager to see if any copies of
WINWORD, MSACCESS, or even OUTLOOK are running. It's just possible that
other tasks are blocking DDE.
3. It may be worth trying some other DDE-related tests using Word fields:
a. start Word, then a { DDE } field into a blank Word document as follows:

{ DDE Winword System Sysitems }

(use ctrl-F9 to insert the special {} - everything else is text)

Select the field and use F9 to update it. The result should look
something like the following . If necessary, use Alt-F9 to see the result.

SYSITEMS TOPICS FORMATS

If that works, it says that DDE is working well enough for Word to be
able to communicate with itself. If not, DDE is definitely in trouble on
your system!

If it worked, you can try starting Access first, then use the same
approach except use:

{ DDE MSACCESS SYSTEM SYSITEMS }

If that doesn't work, then there is indeed something wrong with DDE that
needs fixing. Truble is, I do not know how, and although I can think of
further tests, I'm not sure they will lead to a resolution. But...
4. There is one possibly relevant KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892850

Unfortunately, if you are using Windows 2000, you have to contact MS
support to get a fix. If you're using Windows XP, I believe the fix is
in SP3.

That said, it is only my opinion but I doubt if that is the cause in
this case.
{ DDE Excel System Sysitems }

Something that is worth trying is to see if Word can connect to anthing
(e.g. itself) using DDE:

OK, if you feel like it there's one other thing you could try, which is to
try to connect to an application that is neither Word nor Excel, using DDE.
if that works, then there's probably a problem specifically with Excel
configuration - how to fix it, I do not know, but since re-installing Office
does not typically destroy all configuration informatin for the application,
it might be a question of removing a registry entry and letting Excel
rebuild it: it's probably a question for the Excel experts.

There are various programs that should respond to DDE requests. I make all
the suggestions I can think of that involve common windows/office apps
below. When trying to connect to any of them (same with Excel) it's a good
idea to ensure that the program is started and you have dismissed any
startup dialog boxes. In some case the "program" has probably already been
started.

Then in Word, change the DDE field as follows:

Change

{ DDE WINWORD SYSTEM SYSITEMS }

to the following:

Some info. from Windows Explorer:
{ DDE FOLDERS APPPROPERTIES }

Info. from MS Access:
{ DDE MSACCESS SYSTEM SYSITEMS } Access using another method that uses DDE:

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Laura wrote:
Hi Doug,

Boy do I need you right now.. I don't know what else to do. I have a
laptop next to me with a similar configuration and it works, but not on
my PC. i.e., same operating system and same version of Office.

The Option "Ignore DDE requests" is and was unchecked on both machines.
The Option "Enable DDE refresh" IS checked.

What else can it be? I need to do this mailmerge on the PC, if possible.
Could it be an XP issue?

Laura

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
From the Tools menu in Access, select Options and then go to the

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura[_4_] Laura[_4_] is offline

Sorry for the delay in replying - have had to do mailshot using CSV - or
saving as Word Text and then running a merge - it's fine except that each
time I make a change in the database I have to recreate the text file.

I tried all the things suggested below - never did get an option to choose
which connection to use - it just hung. I didn't fully understand the
{ DDE Winword System Sysitems }
although in my distant past I do remember using those fields, but I can't
remember how, what for or when.. sorry.

One thing I tried was to "repair" office using my installation disks - it
ran for ages and then I tried it again and for a moment I thought it was
going to work - at least I think I got my data source to open, then
everything hung again.. I lost time and patience at that point and have not
been able to go back to it.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, I'm very grateful.

Laura wrote:
Hi Doug,

Boy do I need you right now.. I don't know what else to do. I have a
laptop next to me with a similar configuration and it works, but not on
my PC. i.e., same operating system and same version of Office.

The Option "Ignore DDE requests" is and was unchecked on both machines.
The Option "Enable DDE refresh" IS checked.

What else can it be? I need to do this mailmerge on the PC, if
possible. Could it be an XP issue?

Laura

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
From the Tools menu in Access, select Options and then go to the

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

At least you have found /a/ way to do your merge.

if you still want to have a go at sorting this, I've probably gone
through most of the ideas I have already, but...

I tried all the things suggested below - never did get an option to

choose
which connection to use - it just hung. I didn't fully understand the

On this one, I'd just like to verify that you have checked Word
Tools-Options-General-Confirm conversions at open. If you did that,
then after you have selected the .mdb in the Open Data Source dialog
box, and pressed OK (or whatever the appropriate button is there), you
should see another dialog box with a list of possible connection methods.

{ DDE Winword System Sysitems }

All you need to do for this is
a. create a new document
b. insert a pair of field code braces, e.g. using ctrl-F9
c. type DDE Winword System Sysitems between them so you end up with
{ dDE Winword S

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Laura wrote:
Hi Doug,

Boy do I need you right now.. I don't know what else to do. I have a
laptop next to me with a similar configuration and it works, but not on
my PC. i.e., same operating system and same version of Office.

The Option "Ignore DDE requests" is and was unchecked on both machines.
The Option "Enable DDE refresh" IS checked.

What else can it be? I need to do this mailmerge on the PC, if
possible. Could it be an XP issue?

Laura

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
From the Tools menu in Access, select Options and then go to the

"Laura" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Thomas Roes Thomas Roes is offline

Default install firefox solves DDE problem

I've been struggeling with this very same problem. The solution my father (!) found was very unexpected:

Install firefox as default browser!

You can keep IE, but NOT as default browser.

We've had no glitch ever sinds.

Thomas Roes

Peter Jamieson wrote:

At least you have found /a/ way to do your merge.
27-Feb-09

At least you have found /a/ way to do your merge.

if you still want to have a go at sorting this, I've probably gone
through most of the ideas I have already, but...

choose

On this one, I'd just like to verify that you have checked Word
Tools-Options-General-Confirm conversions at open. If you did that,
then after you have selected the .mdb in the Open Data Source dialog
box, and pressed OK (or whatever the appropriate button is there), you
should see another dialog box with a list of possible connection methods.

All you need to do for this is
a. create a new document
b. insert a pair of field code braces, e.g. using ctrl-F9
c. type DDE Winword System Sysitems between them so you end up with
{ dDE Winword S

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Laura wrote:

On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:18 PM
Laura wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:44 PM
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com wrote:

From the Tools menu in Access, select Options and then go to the advanced tab
From the Tools menu in Access, select Options and then go to the advanced
tab and make sure that the Ignore DDE requests box is unchecked.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Laura" wrote in message

On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:52 PM
Laura wrote:

Hi Doug,Boy do I need you right now.. I don't know what else to do.
Hi Doug,

Boy do I need you right now.. I don't know what else to do. I have a laptop
next to me with a similar configuration and it works, but not on my PC.
i.e., same operating system and same version of Office.

The Option "Ignore DDE requests" is and was unchecked on both machines.
The Option "Enable DDE refresh" IS checked.

What else can it be? I need to do this mailmerge on the PC, if possible.
Could it be an XP issue?

Laura

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
wrote in message ...

On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:24 PM
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com wrote:

In Word, try selecting Options from the Tools menu and then go to the General
In Word, try selecting Options from the Tools menu and then go to the
General tab and check the box against the item "Confirm conversions at open"
if there is such an item in Word 2000 (I do not remember if there is or
not). After doing that, when you attach the data source to the mail merge
main document, try one of the other methods of connection that are
displayed.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Laura" wrote in message

On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Laura wrote:

Oh Doug.. sadly, no help.
[...]

wrote in message ...

On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:12 PM
Peter Jamieson wrote:

If any dialog box would open when you open access or your database, it will
If any dialog box would open when you open access or your database, it
will open when Word starts Access via DDE. Sometimes (often) that dialog
box is displayed behind Word so you cannot see it. Nothing appears to be
happening.

Alt-tab to see if there is such a dialog box.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Laura wrote:

On Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:55 AM
Laura wrote:

[...]

On Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:44 AM
Peter Jamieson wrote:

[...]

Laura wrote:

On Friday, February 27, 2009 2:17 PM
Laura wrote:

[...]

On Friday, February 27, 2009 2:46 PM
Peter Jamieson wrote:

[...]

Laura wrote:

Combine Classic ASP and ASP.NET Content Seamlessly with IFRAMES
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...asp-and-a.aspx