Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
daroga daroga is offline

Default Maintianing "small caps" in paste but adapting other font properti

Hi everyone!

I've got a special situation. I've got some text that I'm pasting into a
Word document that I would like to maintain the style properties of the
destination document. However, this text at times has some Small Caps
properties in it that I would like to maintain. Adapting it to the
destination formatting obviously clears that out.

Is there a way to paste that and have it adapt itself to everything but the
Small Caps? It's just a word or two in several paragraphs but it would be
nice to not have to manually put that back nor to format the tabs, fonts,
spacing, etc. for the whole paragraph.

Using Word 2007.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Hi daroga,

If you copy/paste less than a paragraph, the text should adopt the tabs,
fonts, spacing etc. of the paragraph you paste into, but preserve the manual
character formatting like "small caps".

If you copy/paste several paragraphs, the formatting should be fixed pretty
easily by reapplying the right paragraph style... Manual formatting and
character styles like your "small caps" formatting should be retained by
that (see below), if less than half the characters in the paragraph had it
applied.

In case the above doesn't work for some formatting, that formatting which
doesn't adapt automatically to the paragraph you paste into (or doesn't
change if you apply the paragraph style) was applied as manual formatting...
in which case you're probably stuck with cleaning up (select, Ctrl+Spacebar,
Ctrl+Q, re-apply small caps).

If I only want to retain some manual formatting (as in your case "small
caps"), I also occasionally tag it in the document I copy it from:

Edit Replace,
Find what: ((Format Font Small caps))
Replace with: sc^&/sc

Then after I've pasted all I need (unformatted, but with the tags), I
replace the tags with the formatting again using a wildcard replacement:

Edit Replace, with "Match wildcards" checked,
Find what: \sc\(*)\/sc\
Replace with: \1 ((and Format Font Small caps))

Greetings,
Klaus

"daroga" wrote:
Hi everyone!

I've got a special situation. I've got some text that I'm pasting into a
Word document that I would like to maintain the style properties of the
destination document. However, this text at times has some Small Caps
properties in it that I would like to maintain. Adapting it to the
destination formatting obviously clears that out.

Is there a way to paste that and have it adapt itself to everything but
the
Small Caps? It's just a word or two in several paragraphs but it would be
nice to not have to manually put that back nor to format the tabs, fonts,
spacing, etc. for the whole paragraph.

Using Word 2007.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

I think Word has the silly idea to turn lower case letters into UPPER CASE
if you "paste unformatted" text that was formatted in "small caps".
So if you should try the tags solution, get rid of the small caps as you tag
it:

Edit Replace,
Find what: ((Format Font Small caps))
Replace with: sc^&/sc ((Format Font uncheck Small Caps))

Klaus